Soon I’ll be walking out the door

Sophia Fowler '22

Michael Tengler '22, Staff Writer

Reminiscing about the last four years, I don’t even know where to start. These years have brought me everything I could’ve possibly asked for, and then some. From varsity sports to lifelong friendships, I’ll forever cherish what has happened to me during my time here at Grosse Pointe South.

I’d be remiss of me to not start with varsity soccer. Playing four years of varsity soccer was arguably the best thing that happened to me at South. I was blessed with being able to play with guys I looked up to my freshman year, as well as being exposed to a new level of competition, both of which fueled my performance for the following three years. All that led to being presented the opportunity to lead the team as co-captain my senior year, where I put everything I had towards resetting the expectations for the program. After it was all said and done, I couldn’t have dreamed of a better outcome.

The other thing high school gave me to carry into my future was the tight-knit relationships I’ve created. I’ll go into college with a loyal group of people I know will have my back during troubled times. I can’t begin to express my gratitude for these people and the things they continue to do for me simply out of the kindness of their own heart. It’s people like those that allow me to continue on my journey.

The Tower this year has done wonders for my applicable writing skills. With the freedom to write stories of my choice, as well as the guidance from my editors, I’ve been able to incorporate numerous new techniques into my everyday writing, which will certainly carry over when I move into my dorm room in the fall. Not to mention, the intangible skill of interviewing has tremendously expanded my comfort zone.

Something that tends to go unnoticed, but is certainly worth sharing, is the excellent ability of Grosse Pointe South to set students up for success. Whether it be the 30-plus clubs to let students gauge their interests, the ten-plus AP classes to allow students to expand their knowledge or the 15-plus varsity sports to develop the students’ character, every student is allowed to customize their schedule to best fit their interests and curiosities. So many people are quick to criticize the methods and inner workings of the Grosse Pointe Public School System, but I’m ultimately here to praise it. I feel fully prepared to take the next giant leap in my life, and a great portion of that confidence is thanks to the preparation I’ve been provided.