A few notes on taking up space

Sophia Fowler '22

Eleni Tecos '22, Editor-in-Chief

This year, Meghan and I did a brave thing. As newly-elected editors-in-chief, we wanted to modernize and we wanted to expand our coverage to a wider audience. So, we obliterated tradition and completely restructured how The Tower is curated.

These changes have not been met without their fair share of challenges. As a queer person, I have often been told by my peers that I’m “inserting myself” or “taking up space” in our content.

I would like to counter that with the notion that marginalized groups, such as the LGBTQ+ community, have rarely been allowed the courtesy of taking up space. From being called a “f–” or a “d—” in the hallways, I have never felt safe or accepted here at South.

Except on Tower.

Tower has always been a home base for me. A safety net in which I knew I could explore endless possibilities and create content that makes a difference.

And it’s not just writing about queer issues. It’s about covering more than the surface level of humans here at South. Yes, we are a predominantly white, cis-het population. But that does not account for the many students here that have not been and are not seen by their peers, educators and administrators.
Everyone deserves to see themselves in the media they consume, and The Tower is no exception.

So, I will not apologize for writing about “controversial” issues. I will not apologize for challenging tradition. I will not apologize for taking up space.

As I leave South behind, I want to emphasize my resolve in remaining true to myself in whichever way I choose. Life is too short to not take up space.

All that being said, I have had the privilege of being surrounded by many supportive people here on The Tower and beyond. For starters, Edge, thank you for always believing in me and pushing me to be the best version of myself. I owe everything I have learned to you. Meghan, thank you for being my fiercest advocate and friend. I know you are going to do amazing things next year.

To the staff, thank you for letting me take up space in our silly little backroom. I appreciate each and every one of you more than you know. And finally, thank you to my parents and my partner, Sophie, for your endless love and support.

It’s been a wild ride. Thank you for everything, Tower.