Girls varsity field hockey brings home the State Championship trophy

Genevieve Boutrous '23, Staff Writer

After being undefeated in Division 2 East and having a season record of 16-2-1, the girl’s varsity field hockey team advanced to the state championship on Saturday, Oct. 30, where they played Cranbrook Kingswood at Chelsea High School. Although the game started with plenty of adrenaline and nerves, the girls won the state title with a 3-0 win over their opponents.

“As a first-year varsity member, I was definitely nervous going into the game,” Natalie Clarke ’23 said. “But after all the nerves calmed down, the team made sure to make things light-hearted and fun no matter the outcome of the game.”

The team celebrating their victory after beating Cranbrook Kingswood.  Photo courtesy of Coffey ’23

Going into the game as undefeated Division 2 champions put lots of pressure on the athletes, according to varsity player Natalie Coffey ’23, due to the notable reputation South field hockey has. Playing a game like this in unfamiliar territory can be a challenge for the players.

“I think I struggled with overcoming the mental block that I had at the time the most because it prevented me from going into the game with an open mindset which is something I can’t afford to lose,” Coffey said. “We all blasted fun music and got each other hyped up though which definitely helped distract my nerves.”

For many of the players, the championship game was ultimately going to be the last of their high school career, which made the game even more bittersweet. Because of this, the seniors made sure to appreciate every moment of the game from beginning to end

“After playing this sport all of high school, I can definitely say it was an emotional game for me and the rest of the seniors, and we all wanted to end our field hockey careers with a win,” Katy Griffin ’22 said. “The whole rest of the team, our parents, coaches and classmates made the whole experience very special and unforgettable.

Prior to bus departure for the game, all the player’s parents and friends gathered together and cheered the team on when they were entering the bus. They brought all sorts of spirited things like cowbells, South-themed pom-poms, whistles and more supplies that got the team amped and ready to play.

“I’m really glad I got to share that happy moment with the rest of the team,” Coffey said. “It made all of us excited and even more motivated to take home the State Championship trophy for South.”