Living well

Jackson Marchal, Staff Writer

“God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.” Voltaire
I found this quote my freshman year when I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to get out of my high school years. Little did I know, this 20 word sentence would make the biggest impact on my life, more than any educational instruction could.

Seven hours a day, 180 days a year, I had to ask myself what I was really committing my time doing here at South. How do you live well during late nights studying, long lectures and morning review sessions? Spending time with classmates and making the most of what South had to offer by being a part of teams like tennis and lacrosse and groups like DECA and Tower made my four years more meaningful. I now religiously believe that when you are in the company of good friends and family, you can enjoy just about anything you are doing.

So, I’d like to thank all of my friends who make every weekend a celebration, who aren’t embarrassed to dance to house and never pass on a card game. From ski trips to boat days, I always have the time of my life with you guys. And to my family who is always there for me through thick and thin, we not only survived quarantine, but found ways to make it fun, and I am thankful to have four siblings who make me laugh every day. I look forward to living more life with all of you.

For me, a life well-lived is a life shared with other people, from small moments to epic memories. I will always be grateful for my time with all of you at South.