A U.S.A. homecoming theme isn’t controversial

Evie Klepp '22, Copy Editor

On May 20, a post was made to the Grosse Pointe Public School System (GPPSS) Community Discussion page on Facebook about the rising sophomore class’s 2020 Homecoming theme. 385 comments later, several adults and students from the district argued with each other on whether the original sophomore theme of “Star Spangled Sophomores” should have been changed to “Circus Sophomores” or not.

For some background: all Homecoming themes must be approved by the South administration before they fully go into effect. When the theme of “Star Spangled Sophomores” was announced generally to sophomore students, there was the threat of both ends of the political spectrum for the display of political merchandise and possible violence.

These affirmations, as long as the opinion of the sophomore student council, were brought to the administration’s attention when deciding whether to approve the theme or not. Though I cannot attest to the true intentions and opinions of the administration, I would guess that all factors in mind, it was easier to go with “Circus Sophomores” than risk any altercations during the Homecoming season.

Let me be clear: I do not agree with this decision. I believe there could have been steps taken to avoid any issues, and from my three year student council member perspective, a USA based theme is so much easier on the student council during season preparations and way more fun for the student body.

However, reading all the comments made on Facebook made me disappointed and embarrassed for today’s adults. Grown people calling the administration a “bunch of lunatics”, and calling for “the person who made this decision… to be terminated immediately.”

These comments embarrassed me because let’s be frank: it doesn’t matter.

When I found out the sophomores changed their theme, my house didn’t burn down. My stocks didn’t drop. My cat didn’t die. The theme change doesn’t matter because it didn’t change my life at all. It didn’t affect me, because at the end of the day, it’s really not important. I am not a rising sophomore, and almost none of the 385 people commenting are either.

I’ve seen this before, both with this theme “controversy”, and with most “controversies” surrounding South. People who aren’t in any way impacted by the problem feel the need to let it bother them. I understand that adults are taxpayers and are therefore funding the school’s existence, but weaseling into every issue is so unnecessary.

One might argue that though this does not affect them, saying that staying silent on issues that don’t impact you is complacency that will only lead to a deeper political divide. But this isn’t some moral-political national hot-topic, it’s a high school homecoming theme.

Adults in Grosse Pointe need to stop and take a deep breath of real world air. There are real, genuine problems that exist today. Stop creating ones that don’t exist and solve the ones that do.