Lady Devils basketball team shooting for league champions

Tara Cole '21, Social Media Manager

Through excellent chemistry, team bonding and a nearly undefeated season, the girl’s varsity basketball team has proven victorious so far this year.

With only a few games left in the season, the Lady Ballers hope to be ranked the first spot in the MAC division, according to head coach Kevin Richards. He said the team has two big games coming up, including Grosse Pointe North and Dakota High School.

“We like to think of every game as a big game if we want to continue to win our league,” Richards said. “But, we really hope to succeed in these two particular games.”

According to player Cameron Lundh ’21, the team has been very successful this year due to the great relationships between the players.

“The chemistry between the team is fantastic– we have lots of pasta parties and hang out with each other all the time,” Lundh said. “I think the extra team bonding has transferred over to the court and is part of the reason for our success this year.”

Richards said he thinks this season has allowed for everyone to improve and has given lots of different opportunities for the players.

“Everyone plays hard– we’ve done an awesome job of sharing the ball,” Richards said. “It makes it fun for everyone when they feel valued, whether that be on the court or even on the bench.”

Player Keely Conlan ’21 said she believes the team has been very successful and supportive during her first season back from injury.

“This is kind of a comeback year for me because of my injury– the team has been so caring for me,” Conlan said. “They always check on me when I’m stretching and playing to make sure I’m alright.”

According to Lundh , the team has performed this season better than many expected, with an almost undefeated score.

“I think people didn’t expect us to be as good this year, but I think we’ve really broke that stigma,” Lundh said. “Our record is 9-2 right now, so I’m really proud of the team.”

Richards said he thinks the team’s work ethic really helped them out this season.

“One thing I like about this group is that there are no egos– we are really low-maintenance,” Richards said. “It makes it easy when we go to practice and everyone’s willing to play hard and share the ball.”