Walking a mile in snow boots

South students beginning their walk home from school. Some students explain that walking to and from school during the winter is not always a negative

Navya Chamiraju '20, Staff Writer

Slippery sidewalks aren’t always fun to walk on, according to Katie Alltop ’20, but it is a necessary part of many South students’ everyday routines. However, though it is difficult at times, walking in the cold weather can also be pleasant and refreshing experience.

“It feels nice, I look around and see the beautiful nature that surrounds me and the air is so refreshing,” Alltop said.

According to Grace Babiarz ’20, right after a fresh snowfall in the winter time, the views are beautiful, but after a few days only black ice and slippery sidewalks can be spotted.

“It can be really pretty sometimes, but otherwise it’s gross and slushy,” Babiarz said.

No matter the weather, assistant principal Cindy Parravano believes that students should equip themselves properly for the day at hand.

“If students know they have to walk to school then they need to be prepared to walk to school,” Parravano said. “And that (includes)… the winter clothing they have on over their clothes to get to and from school.”

Students should also know how to prepare for the weather as Grosse Pointe has been a walking district for many years. A main reason for this is the high number of elementary schools in the area, which will probably prevent GPPSS from turning into a bus district in the future, according to Parravano.

“There are a lot of elementary schools so the distance those students have to walk is probably within the recommended mileage. So they are not going to bus for elementary schools. I would assume that if they’re not bussing for elementary schools, they’re not going to bus for any school,” Parravano said. “And while kids may live a specific, certain distance away, they’re still not going to change it into a bussing school because my guess would be (that) there wouldn’t be any benefit with the cost that would add to the district.”

Without busses, walking in the elements can be difficult at times. However, most students are well prepared and get to school on time because they are probably used to the weather by now, according to Parravano.

“Days like (Feb. 7, 2018) were probably a little bit more significant when we had a little bit more snow fall,” Parravano said. “We were probably caught unprepared but I would say for the most part it does not have a huge effect on tardiness or absences.”

The weather changes every day, according to Parravano, so it’s important to be prepared and take the challenge head-on and adapt to whatever climate one is faced with.

“(Plan) for anything that can come your way; inclement weather, the rain… you just need to be prepared and make sure that you leave and have enough time to get to school, no matter what the circumstances are,” Parravano said.