Charity week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Charity week

Charity week is from Jan. 29th to Feb. 2. Photo courtesy of Olivia Mlynarek '19.

Olivia Mlynarek '19, Staff Writer

This week, from Monday, Jan. 29 through Friday, Feb. 2, Grosse Pointe South’s Student Association (SA) will be sponsoring their first annual Charity Week.

“It’s a week-long event with multiple events throughout the week,” SA secretary Lauren Fleckenstein ’18 said.

According the Fleckenstein, the idea behind Charity Week is to raise awareness and show support for the I Love Lucy Foundation, a charity founded by the Loch family of Grosse Pointe, whose daughter Lucy Loch ’16 was diagnosed with lymphoma as a child.

“All the proceeds go to the I Love Lucy Foundation,” Fleckenstein said.

The money that is donated to the I Love Lucy Foundation goes directly to families who cannot afford or need help paying for cancer treatments.

Charity Week is an event that both Grosse Pointe North and South have been working on. Charity Week has been a work in progress for both schools since last year, according to Fleckenstein.

“We started planning this event last March, so it’s really cool to come and see everything come full circle,” Fleckenstein said.

SA has come up with many different ways to fundraise and spread awareness for this event to the students of South and the community in general. Some of these things include selling breadsticks and making colorful cards during both lunches, Fleckenstein said.

“We have spirit days every day, and we also have restaurant nights after school that people can go to,” SA member Julia Hudson ’19 said.

SA hopes that through this event, students and members of the community will become supportive and aware of the I Love Lucy Foundation.

“We’re just trying to raise awareness about the I Love Lucy Foundation and get money to support families who are suffering with a relative with lymphoma,” Hudson said.

Throughout the remainder of this week, SA will continue to sponsor different events and activities that are all included in Charity Week. South students can buy a Charity Week t-shirt at both lunches along with a ticket to the girls varsity basketball game on Friday.

“I think students should get involved in Charity Week because it is a great cause,” SA member Just-Us Welch ’20 said.

All South students are encouraged to support and participate in these events that will be held during lunches and after school.

“We should all get involved to raise money and help out those who are affected (by lymphoma),” Welch said.

About the Writer
Olivia Mlynarek '19, Web Editor

“I like meeting new people and I think it's a fun experience to write different stories and learn more about our school and how it works and keep up...