Fall play preview

Griffin Jones

The Pointe Players are preparing for their fall play, “You Can’t Take it With You”. Shows will be from November 16-18 in South’s Auditorium.

Griffin Jones, Graphics Manager

South’s eyes for the spotlight have opened once more with this year’s Fall play, “You Can’t Take It With You” by Frank Capra.

Rehearsals are running along with Meaghan Dunham, the Pointe Player Director, directing each and every voice and movement to be seen on stage. There’s quite a few voices to be heard with 20 students this year on South’s auditorium stage.

“‘You Can’t Take It With You’ is a story of an unconventional family,” Dunham said. “Through their love and compassion and exuberant outlook on life, they affect change in a positive way for everyone they come into contact with.”

Although Dunham is the director, the school play is generally student-run with a stage director, a student director as well as the rest of the cast and crew with individual responsibilities like memorizing lines, timing on stage, or which prop to hand to an actor for that specific scene.

“It’s a super big cast and crew, so chances are people will know someone that’s spent a lot of time and effort on it,” Dani Dulworth ’18, the stage manager, said. “It’s super fun and lighthearted and funny, and I guarantee anyone will enjoy it. I’m most excited about the set coming together with the cast and crew. It’s really amazing to see the finished show.”

Every year, the Pointe Players run a play that is put on by those of the student body that find a calling in theater, be it simple fun and social opportunity, or big dreams to go on Broadway. Last year, the cast and crew produced “Lost in Yonkers” by Neil Simon.

“I auditioned because I love theater, but I hadn’t acted in a while,” Natalie Boehmer ‘16, who plays  said. “I’m really excited to see how the bonds of cast and crew backstage begin to appear on stage and how it’ll get portrayed to the audience.”

The Pointe Players will put on “You Can’t Take It With You” from Nov. 16-18 in South’s Auditorium.