The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Varsity soccer captures District Championship

Kelsey Newa ’13| Staff Writer 

Photo courtesy Mary Weber
Photo courtesy of Mary Weber | The girls varsity soccer team poses with its Disctrict Champion trophy after defeating North in the title game.

After a successful season, girls varsity soccer is kicking it into high gear for some postseason madness.

The girls wrapped up a solid season, finishing off with only three losses total. But the team still had more in store as they entered district tournament last week.

The lady blue devils defeated Frasier in an away game on May 30. The score was 2-1 in South’s favor.

“We’ve been lucky so far, we’ve had a pretty good history of success,” said coach Gene Harkins.

The team took on Roseville the following night (May 31) and won again, keeping things consistent.

On Friday, June 1, the girls took on Grosse Pointe North for the third time this season. The previous two games resulted in a tie, and the Blue Devils sought revenge and beat North to earn the title of  District Champions.

“Everyone was so happy and excited to have defeated North after trying twice,” said Olivia Withers ’14.

While celebrating their accomplishment, the team must maintain focus as they enter into the regional tournament.

“Going into the region, we’ll play teams out of Farmington, and probably Troy if we make it (that far),” said Harkins.

With six game winners, Dani Ventimiglia ’14 has been a significant contribution to the team’s success this season, Harkins said.

“We have a lot of overall talent,” said Harkins. “We play really well together as a team.”

Team captain Charlotte Burns ‘12 attributes much of the team’s success to their closeness on and off of the field.

“We all get along really well,” said Burns. “A lot of us played together last year, so we know how each other play. We’re not just friends when we’re playing, but we have all gotten to know each other so well outside of soccer, and I think that has made us more successful on the field.”

Harkins hopes that going into regionals, the team will be able to improve defensively and give up zero goals. Offensively, he said he would like to see the team gauge their wins a little farther apart than one goal.

The bar is set high for the girls, considering last year’s team made it to the state semi-finals, said Harkins.

“We have a chance (at making it as far as last year),” said Harkins. “We could beat anybody, but you always have to be a little bit lucky too.”

After losing a significant number of players due to injury, some have returned to help the team advance in the regional tournament.

“South represented itself really well,” said Harkins. “I think if we work hard as a team, hopefully we’ll go all the way, that’s what we’re trying to do.”