Students and parents support Principal Hamka at school board meeting

Piper Eschenburg, Staff Writer

In a post-election speech that was intended to unite the school, Principal Moussa Hamka received backlash from parents and students, and was even threatened the loss of his job.

During the monthly Grosse Pointe Public School Board meeting on Monday, Nov. 14, members of the community flooded into Mason Elementary School, resulting in a standing-room only meeting that extended to nearly four hours.

“South, like the country, is divided. I have witnessed a wide range of responses and emotions today,” Hamka said during seventh hour on Wednesday, Nov. 9. “We have had students crying and consoling one another as they mourn the loss of their candidate and we have students that are jubilant and excited. They create, they maintain, the environment of respect.”

cxqu6gfxgaaf5gc
The monthly Grosse Pointe Public School board meeting took place at Mason Elementary School, which was recently named a Blue Ribbon school. Photo by Jack Holme ’17

During his speech to the entire school Hamka spoke about uniting a divided South. He reiterated the idea that the school would remain united, no matter which candidate was elected. He condemned bigotry and encouraged students to have what he called “difficult discussions” about race, religion and LGBTQ rights.

Hamka made the decision to give a speech over the PA to show to emphasize unity.

“We need to embrace the art of disagreeing with love and respect,” Hamka said at the board meeting. “These skills will be priceless in the coming months and years as we work to build a democratic society that protects the rights of all people, regardless of the president.”

Some students and parents found Hamka’s speech too politically opinionated.

“Even though Hamka’s overall point of the announcement was to try and unify South as one, he did a poor job doing so from his biased word choice,” Carmella Bate ‘17 said. “If he left it short and simple, then he wouldn’t have brought his opinion and viewpoint into school.”

Yet, others stood with South’s principal, like Evie Kuhnlein ‘20, who spoke at the board meeting.

“It is my opinion that what Mr. Hamka said on Wednesday afternoon was a situation that was appropriately handled,” Kuhnlein said. “Some things Mr. Hamka says are put under a microscope, like a lot of things are.”

Amelia Abouljoud ‘18, who also stood before the board to speak on behalf of Hamka, said students had a discussion at the unity rally that took place after school on Friday, Nov. 11, and gives all of the credit of this discussion to Hamka and his announcement.  

“We had a walk on Friday to unify everybody,” Abouljoud said. “Kids that have Republican beliefs? They came…Kids that have Democratic beliefs? They came.” 
One after another, students and parents spoke in Hamka’s defense, asking the board to let him keep his job. In fact, every person that spoke at the board meeting spoke in defense of Hamka and stood behind what Harry Susalla ‘18 called, “Mr. Hamka’s positive and inclusive message.”

Susalla spoke about how Hamka helped to make him feel accepted as an openly gay student who often faced harassment.

cxq_yr3xuaatp_x
“I think we learned a lesson,” Superintendent of the Grosse Pointe Public School System Gary Niehaus said in response to Hamka’s PA announcement. Photo by Jack Holme ’17

“I think (Hamka) has done an amazing job in his three years at South. I think he has put in a huge effort to include everyone, no matter what their political view is, their race, gender, sexuality, religion,” Susalla said in an interview after the meeting. “I think it’s extremely important to have a diverse school because the world is diverse. You have to actually learn that diversity is beneficial, you don’t just wake up and learn it.”

To other students, like Ponette Rubio ‘18, the idea of losing their principal was emotional.

“I’m also a Mexican-American, a first generation American citizen,” a tearful Rubio said. “Going into a school I have had people tell me that I need to go back to Mexico or that I’m an illegal immigrant, which is not true…when Mr. Hamka gave that speech he said so much more than what was in those words. He said that as a community we were one GP and we were going to stick together; that we can have hope and work together.”

Rubio continued saying Hamka helped her feel supported, crying while she told her story and how he changed her education for the better. After she finished, she was given a standing ovation.

“I want to let Moussa know that you’re here, buddy– you’re not going anywhere as far as I’m concerned,” trustee Ahmed Ismail said at the conclusion of the board meeting.

The ending verdict was Hamka was able to keep his job and will face no repercussions for his announcement.

“I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support. It’s good to know you work in a community that recognizes values and appreciates all the hardwork and efforts that go into running a school day in and day out,” Hamka said.