Stepping stones to states

After coming off a riveting end to last year’s season, the Girls Varsity Hockey team is coming into the 2023 winter season with steam. The effort is high this year for these student athletes. With new upperclassmen joining the team on the rise and underclassmen growing their skills, the girls are ready to take on the challenges that this season will bring. The team hopes to attain another state championship game appearance this season and ultimately bring home that trophy.

Returning players are committed to including the new players who decided to join South Hockey this year in order to strengthen their team bond as a whole. The tight knit bond that this team possesses really adds to their successes on the ice.

Senior Assistant Captain Ruby Verlinden ’24 explained that the team has grown since last year by connecting as a group, whether that is passing pucks on the ice or pasta parties off the ice. They have improved their team dynamic this year as well as amping up their practices with new coaches from last year according to Verlinden.

“Our stamina has really improved this year because of the extra conditioning and practices we have,” Verlinden said. “Also, our team chemistry has changed from last year, I wouldn’t say for worse or for better but we will be stronger because of it.”

Evie Wodzisz ’26 said her switch from travel to high school ice hockey this year is beneficial for the team as other team members also made the same switch this year. She said the team will benefit from having higher skilled players this year who are used to the demand of harder conditioning and practice schedules.

“The new girls coming in will teach some of the younger players valuable skills on and off the ice because of their experience as well as push us in practice to be better players,” Wodzisz said.

Goalie Evie Smith ’25 said her perspective from inside the goal this season is less stressful but still exciting.

“With the new talent we added to the team, the time by our goal is less and we really know how to work it out of our defensive end,” Smith said.

The girls ice hockey team is avid about their strength this year and their initiative to go even farther in the playoffs this year is higher than ever.

“Our energy is high and we are going to grow so much this year and bring home that trophy,” Verlinden said.