ADHD medications shortening as school starts

Kai Tibbitts ’24

Almost a month into the school year at South, students and adults have been dealing with the shortage of ADHD medications. According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, the ingredients to make ADHD medications have been running low on stock.

The medications are meant to help stimulate the brain and create a sense of focus for someone who is struggling with impulsive behaviors. Consisting of methylphenidate and amphetamines with brands like Ritalin, Concerta, Focalin, Daytran and more.

Pediatrician Dr. Jordan Kridler explains the severe issues of ADHD medications when they are abused or when the products to make the actual medications are lacking and how that can affect individuals.

“It’s basically a big supply and demand issue right now,” Dr. Kriddler said. “Initially, it was an Adderall shortage, but then it turned into Rilatin, Concerta and some of the major ones that are under a nationwide shortage currently.”

Students like Eve Adams ’24 struggle with this decrease, she admitted that ADHD is more profound than people actually think as it affects her thinking, attention span and even impulsive behaviors.

“Having ADHD in school really affects my daily life in school by not being able to focus too much on one thing at a time,” Adams said. “Outside of school, doing homework and going to the gym are my main activities and are really hard to do and focus on when struggling with ADHD.”

According to the Mayo Health Clinic, children with ADHD also may struggle with low self-esteem, school anxiety, troubled relationships and poor performance in school. Because of this, people turn to ADHD medications to help cope with this issue and increase performance at school. Due to the short supply of medication, students find it difficult and stressful to be able to make sure they can perform as well as other students in school so they can succeed.

“We loaded up on medication, so I have enough to get through the shortage possibly,” Adams said. “I’ll also try my best to make sure if I don’t have my medication, I’ll be able to focus on one thing at a time and come up with methods to stay focused.”

Naila El Kateb, a pharmacist at Ascension St. John Hospital, states exactly how ADHD medications can be abused and the consequences it can bring on to people as well as the decreasing production of medications.