Different date debut

Kate Dixon ’25

The anticipation of “spooky season” stems right on the first day of school, planning your costume, decorating your house and obviously a candy trade after a long night of trick or treating. Every kid experiences all of it, especially the exhaustion after walking for miles and finishing the night with a sugar rush that keeps you from falling asleep. Having your alarm go off the next morning for a full day of school is when you regret it all.

Halloween is something that everyone looks forward to—just like any other holiday—with its own fun festivities. Parents work so hard planning a Halloween party for their family, buying their kids costumes and keeping track of them while they trick or treat but also remembering to pass out candy to others. On the other hand, kids go wild, eating candy until they get sick, running around all night with their friends and staying out hours past their bedtime. Halloween is meant to be chaotic and fun for everyone, but having school the next morning limits your candy intake, trick or treating duration and enjoyment of the holiday with friends and family. Moving Halloween to the last Saturday of October each year will fix all of those problems.

Although some may say that not having it on the usual October 31st would ruin Halloween traditions, I disagree. Halloween is at the end of October no matter what. If it was changed, everyone would still have the same fun of the decorations, costumes and excitement, just without the extra stress on parents and the disappointment to kids of having school the next day.

Put into a sugar coma and running off of no sleep, kids become more like zombies the next day, having to wake up after a hectic, fun night.. In the classroom, kids are not able to properly focus on their assignments, lessons and responsibilities. A number of students will also choose not to come to school the next day, so why teach a class half full? Not only are kids exhausted, but also working parents have to go to their job after a long night of chasing after their kids and getting their sugar high to wear off before bed. Without school the next morning, everyone would be able to enjoy the holiday without the added stress of waking up to responsibility.