Students takes on the Winter Olympics

Ella Pazuchowski '23, Staff Writer

(https://www.maxpixel.net/photo-262145)

On Feb. 4, the Beijing Winter Olympic Games are scheduled to begin. Athletes will compete in 109 events this year, in 7 different sports. Multiple students are looking forward to watching their favorite sports in the games.
Lily Petz ’24 prefers to watch figure skating. She said her mom and aunt were figuring skaters, so she is familiar with the rules of the sport.
“It’s something that I know I can never do, so it’s more exciting to watch someone else do it,” Petz said. “(My mom) knows all the inside stuff about (ice skating), and it kind of runs in the family,” Petz said.
Frances Ring’s ’25 favorite sport to watch is women’s hockey. Ring has played hockey since she was three and has always been inspired by female players.
“I’ve always grown up watching hockey with my mom, my dad and my brother, and it’s very interesting to see women play because they’re not in the NHL,” Ring said. “This sport is really interesting to watch because you get to see women compete,” Ring said.“It’s very nice to see women being able to represent their country in a sport that was designed mostly for men.”
Dorian Fama ’22 prefers to watch the men’s snowboard halfpipe. Fama switched from skiing to snowboarding and now has more appreciation for the sport.
“I recently got into snowboarding and I really like it,” Fama said. “I have a lot of respect for the guys that are doing tricks. I was never super into the Olympics, but once I got into snowboarding, I started watching more clips. (Snowboarding) is related to something that I actually enjoy doing.”
Ryleigh O’Donsahue ’23 favorite sports to watch are figure skating and hockey. O’Donoghue is a member of South’s figure skating and hockey team. “They’re very different sports to watch, but I think they’re both fun to see,” O’Donoghue said. “I understand (these sports) the most, and it’s cool to see the highest it gets for figure skating and women’s hockey, it’s really cool to see how these athletes have made their dreams come true.”