Sophomore on Boys Lacrosse team has an impressive start to season

By Adam Morris ’15 | Staff Writer

As the boys’ varsity lacrosse season marches on, Michael Coyle ‘16 is proving to be a huge asset to the team’s success.

The boys have won six out of nine games thus far in the season and Michael Coyle has been a big part of those wins.  Although he does not lead the team in either category, Michael Coyle has scored eight goals and contributed three assists.

“I play midfield on the first line and our chemistry is great, especially because I’m playing with my older brother (Jerry) and we have a strong brotherly connection on the field,” said  Micheal Coyle.

In order to prepare for the upcoming season, Michael Coyle attended the off-season conditioning and stick work training.

“I also played summer and fall ball and it helped to practice with the older players so I could get used to the speed that they play at and how quickly they move the ball,” Michael Coyle said.

Michael has definitely adapted very well to the varsity level and has been accepted by everyone,  said brother Jerry Coyle.  Come his senior year Michael will be the leader of the team because of his experience playing at this level, he said.

“Coach has us play on the same line because we know each other better than anyone else on the team,” Jerry Coyle said.  “It’s a blast playing together.”

There is a running competition started by the team called the “Coyle Cup” to see who scores the most goals between the brothers by the end of the season. At this point in the season, Jerry Coyle said he has eight goals.

“The biggest challenge that I have faced being a sophomore is that I am playing against kids that are two years older than me and that are faster and stronger,” Michael Coyle said.  “I had to use my ability to adjust to varsity so I could compete with the speed and level of play.”

Michael has plenty of potential to become a captain due to his confidence on and off the field, said captain Andrew Wright ‘14.  He has contributed a lot of offense this year and is currently one of the leading scorers at midfield.

“His athleticism has stuck out a lot,” Wright said. “He makes a lot of great plays on the field that you don’t normally see from sophomores.”

Michael is one of the fastest guys on the team and he is able to create opportunities for himself, said head coach Don Wolford.

“He is learning some of the off ball techniques and where to be on the field to create a threat for the opposing team which is huge,” Wolford said.  “Michael is still new to the game so he is encountering new situations, but his athletic ability allows him to roll with it.”

Wolford said Michael is providing the most offensive power for the midfielders and he is also providing a lot of transition which is where a lot of his goals come from.  He is pushing the ball up, clearing, and then getting offensive chances off of that transition, said Wolford.

“Michael is so inexperienced right now and he is already killing it, but once he gets used to these new situations in games and gets in his comfort zone in a year or two, it’s going to be unbelievable,” Wolford said.

Michael Coyle’s hope for the rest of the season is to make the playoffs and then see how far the team can go in them.

“Everyone dreams of winning a state championship, but especially this year our team wants to win it, badly.”