Teacher returns after month-long recovery from shoulder surgery

By Taylor Wouters ’15 | Staff Writer

Following surgery for an on campus injury, social studies teacher Chad Hepner has returned to teaching after a month long recovery.

After falling and hearing the crack from his shoulder on impact, Hepner said he immediately knew something was wrong.

“I was walking out of the Boll Center, and it was one of those days in February that was super icy,” said Hepner. “The stairs coming out the back by the baseball stadium were icy and even though I saw they were icy, I slipped and landed on my elbow which put all my weight on my shoulder.”

Athletic trainer Rochelle Mazurek referred Hepner to an orthopedic doctor, and following a MRI , Hepner learned he would need surgery to repair his shoulder, he said.

“I was in a sling for six weeks and so I was pretty much in that night and day,” said Hepner. “I could get up and move around OK, but it was just not being able to move that arm at all and not being able to drive.”

During his absence, Eric Gunderson took over as Hepner’s long-term substitute, Julia Barnes ’16 said.

“Mr. Gunderson had a different teaching style than Mr. Hepner and it took a little time to get used to,” said Barnes.

Along with different teaching style, Barnes said there were other difficulties.

“Our substitute teacher had to learn all our names and it was like a whole new school year was starting with him,” said Barnes.

Even with the difficult transition, social studies teacher Sandi Siemaszko said Gunderson did a great job adjusting.

“I think Mr. Gunderson did a great job,” said Siemaszko. “I think he filled the shoes really well. Mr. Hepner was lucky because Mr. Gunderson was his student teacher last year.”

Although he is now able to drive, Hepner said his range of motion is still very limited.

“I just started physical therapy this week and that will probably be another four to five months just to start getting back to what I could do,” said Hepner.

His teaching has been affected by the injury, said Hepner. With the injury, his arm is limited to being used for very basic things such as writing and using the keyboard.

“I am trying to use my left hand more but it is tough to write on the blackboard and do things like that,” said Hepner. “I have probably done a few more things electronically because I can type, and then in my two physical education classes having students do more and having more student demonstrations rather than having myself doing the demonstrating.”

Although adjusting to different teaching styles after Hepner’s return was difficult, Barnes said the transition back was very easy.

“The adjustment back was very easy,” said Barnes. “It was like he never left.”