After three year hiatus, date auction returns as success

By Taylor Wouters ’15 | Staff Writer

Raising over $1,111 for Prom, the Senior Class Date Auction proved to be an entertaining and exciting night, adviser Carrie Halliburton said.

Most people for auction were bought by their friends, making the situation less awkward and more fun. Beth Coyle ‘16 bid on and won a date with her friend, Margaret Brennan ’16, for $31.

“I bid on her because I knew it would be funny if I ended up taking her out because we’re friends and I wanted to be able to say I bought her,” said Coyle. “I’m looking forward to hanging out with Margaret and eating some good food.”

Not only bidding the highest at $109, but also bidding on two different people, James Fishback ’15 said “the more the merrier.”

“The two dates I got were Grady Eger (’17) and Bennett Jackson (’14),” said Fishback.

Fishback said he thought that it was “quite the bargain” getting Eger for only $22. For their date he picked Sadies Hawkins tickets.

“We won Sadies tickets, so I thought it was only right to ask him to Sadies, but he said no,” said Fishback.

Fishback also bid $109 for Jackson, and as the highest bidder won Opening Day Tigers tickets. Tickets and other dates were donated by the community.

“Just look at him (Jackson), would you have paid less than $109 for that body,” said Fishback.

Coyle believes that the date auction was such a success because everyone was having fun and bidding on their friends.

“It wasn’t awkward,” said Coyle. “It was just everyone throwing some money around.”

Fishback agreed that it was such a success due to how funny it was seeing the kids being auctioned off.

“It was just a lot of fun, it was really funny too, just to see what kids were worth,” said Fishback. “I’d be willing to pay more just to date every freshmen next year.”

Much of the success was due to all the advertising and low ticket prices, Senior Class Secretary Carly Hampton ’14 said.

“We haven’t done it in a few years and we talked it up a lot and we were really excited,” said Hampton. “It was also a fact that the tickets were only $3 was helpful, too.”

All the students that participated were great sports, Student Activities Coordinator Maria Mitzel said.

“I think that they made it fun,” said Mitzel. “I thought Colden (Gosselin ’14) and Kimberly Barbour (’14) did great jobs as emcees, and I think that the students that attended were comfortable. They kept the questions appropriate and it was just fun.”

Mitzel said she would like to see future classes continue the fundraiser, seeing that this year’s date auction was such a success.