Sophomore transfers to South to continue training with coach

By Angelica Kalogeridis ’15 | Staff Writer

Transfer student Raven Neely ’16 came to Grosse Pointe not because she had to but because she had a true passion for tennis, she said.

Neely transferred from West Bloomfield High School to follow her tennis coach, Dennis Royal, who recently accepted an offer for assistant coach of South’s varsity tennis team.

Head coach Mark Sobieralski said Neely, the projected number singles player, is a better player than any other girl on South’s team, which placed third at last year’s state championship.

​“I followed Dennis because he is a really good coach, and he has made me a better player,” Neely said. “Ever since I have been working with him, he and I have set goals.”

​Royal has done so much to help Neely, she said.  Ultimately, Neely said she believed Royal is going to help her reach her goals as he has already invested so much time in coaching her.

​The Neely family moved to Grosse Pointe to start a new life away from home so Neely could stay with her coach, she said. Her parents thought it was a good decision and will proceed to do anything to support her.

​“I like the change a lot, and I’m enjoying South,” Neely said. “It has a good education system, and the teachers know what they are talking about.”

​Her goals are to receive a tennis scholarship at a Division I college and play there a year or two, and then go pro, Neely said.

​“I expect this season to have a really good record and some really good wins,” Neely said, “and to eventually win states.”

Sobieralski said it is incredible to receive a player that has qualified for nationals and is only a sophomore. The varsity team has not lost a player from last year and Neely can already beat the number one returning player.

​“Without her we were probably going to be the favorite to win it,” Sobieralski said. “Now with her, it makes it even a greater chance of winning it all.”

​Neely will strengthen an already strong singles lineup, said Sobieralski. The team might not have been seeded at one singles before her addition, but now the whole singles flight will have a better chance at being seeded.

​“When you have every girl coming back on the team and you take a player that is better than any other girl on the team and put her at the top,” Sobieralski said.”It bumps everyone down, strengthening our lower courts.”

​Most of the team is working harder due to Neely, said Sobieralski. He also believes that once the team has the lineup and has a chance to bond, the dynamics with the newly added player will be fine.

​Teammate Maggie Sweeney ’15, said that she was very excited upon hearing that Neely was joining the team and that she will be a great addition. Neely is a very strong player that is going to fit into the team perfectly.

​“I have seen and played with Raven already,” Sweeney said. “She has a good serve and really powerful strokes. She is definitely going to strengthen our team.”