Performing arts and clubs should be celebrated in addition to athletics

We are all Blue Devils. Many students have different activities that make each person unique. Rarely, do we have the same two interests. Students must remember that Blue Devil Pride means supporting each other. Students need to support endeavors of all students at our school.

As the fall season kicks into full effect, it’s important to remember that the choir and orchestra members need to be supported, too. Members of these groups devote significant amounts of time to their activities – spending hours rehearsing each week, learning new choreography and practicing their pieces. It’s important for South to show them the same type of support as the student section at the North/South football game and the girls basketball team at the Breslin Center. Choir’s and orchestra’s annual performances matter just as much as other popular school events.

South provides many opportunities for everyone to succeed in extracurricular activities. There are many options from sports to music and clubs. Every person at South has the opportunity to find his/her place. There are over 20 sports that students can choose to play. Different levels of choir, band and orchestra allow students to perform to the best of their ability. South also has a wide range of academic clubs. With all these options, it is clear that students have an opportunity to express themselves, regardless of what they are interested in pursuing.

With all these different outlets for students, it is known that students here work very hard to achieve impressive results. Many of our sports teams go on to regionals, divisions and even to win states. In addition, choir and band have competitions and also bring home outstanding awards. Last year, the choir competed in two competitions and won two first place awards. The symphonic band and orchestra received a first division at MSBOA and various students received recognition at the state Solo and Ensemble.

With Fall Follies starting on Thursday, and Oktober Musikfest beginning this weekend, now is a great time to support these programs. All students work incredibly hard with after school and weekend rehearsals, and therefore it is crucial that we show our support.

While it is impossible to attend every sporting event, musical event and other South events, it is important students take time to try and support each type of event when they can.

We are all Blue Devils and supporting each other is what it means to say Blue Devil Pride.