Gym should remain an ‘opt out’ class

With the staggering amount of students involved in the numerous athletic programs South has to offer, the option for students to opt-out of gym classes is beneficial. Due to the wide variety of sports and clubs available to students, nearby workout facilities and a Weight Room right here in the building available to everyone, mandating students to add a gym class to their schedule is problematic for those who don’t need it.

Members of the girls varsity basketball team returned to the state championship for the second year in a row. The girls varsity hockey team also made it to the final round of the state championship tournament. The varsity football team beat Grosse Pointe North for the third straight year, and had the best record for their season in recent years. These are just a few accomplishments that several of the sports teams have attained over this past year.

The school and surrounding community take immense pride in South’s numerous athletic achievements, and more than half of the student body is involved in some type of sport.

In addition to high levels of involvement in sports from the student body, providing students the opportunity to opt-out of gym classes also opens up room in the seven-period schedule for those who want to pursue something academic.

If taking a gym class was mandated by the school, many students would be unable to include valuable art, choir or language courses in their schedules, and these admirable programs would consequently suffer.

Ranked as one of the most challenging high schools in Michigan, South undoubtedly has a strong academic reputation that is recognized across the nation. Classroom success for each individual student and preparation for the future are the ultimate goals of the school. Allowing students to focus on and excel in their demanding classes by opting out of gym is imperative to maintaining this high academic standing.

South is an exceptional school filled with exceptional students; students who devote much of their time to studying and mastering challenging courses. Because of the level of difficulty involved with honors and advanced placement courses, many students struggle to include a gym class in their schedule. This is why the opportunity to opt-out of gym classes is essential.