Choir prepares for a high energy performance

Emily Mlynarek ’14 | Staff Writer

South’s toe-tapping all-school musical, “42nd Street”, debuts this Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at Grosse Pointe North’s Performing Arts Center.

“I chose the musical because it is a high-energy and entertaining show,” said Director Christopher Pratt. “It has a large cast as I wanted to give as many kids an opportunity to sing, dance and act as was possible.”

The cast of over 50 students has been rehearsing since auditions in mid- January, followed by acting and music rehearsals, ensemble member Amanda Shrader ’14 said.

“People should come see ‘42nd Street’ because it is the definition of musical theatre,” said Grace Muwad ’15. “It is exciting, funny, and full of dancing and tap. It’s a show that appeals to everyone.”

“42nd Street” focuses on famed director Julian Marsh’s (Jack Kay ’15 and Jack Daley ’14) production of musical extravaganza, ‘Pretty Lady’, at the height of the Great Depression. Just off the bus from Allentown, Pa., musical hopeful Peggy Sawyer (Muwad and Maggie Bickerstaff ’13) arrives in New York, hoping to get her big break on Broadway, Shrader said.

“She (Peggy) is young, naive, has a wonderful heart and can sing and dance like a pro,” said Muwad. “Ultimately, these qualities are what propel her into the spotlight.”

Peggy gains an unlikely admirer, Billy Lawlor (Frankie Thams ’15 and Nate Jones ’13), the male lead in ‘Pretty Lady’, Thams said.

“Billy is the lead in ‘Pretty Lady’ (the show inside of ‘42nd Street’) and is a little full of himself,” said Thams. “He has a huge crush on this girl named Peggy and flirts with her throughout the show.”

Meanwhile, Dorothy Brock (Emma Abukasm ’14 and Kristina Papas ‘13), the star of ‘Pretty Lady’ breaks her ankle and the show, of course, must go on. This is Peggy’s opportunity for a starring role and to finally see her name in lights, Shrader said.

“The tap is really great musical theater tap, which is fun to perform and entertaining for the audience to watch,” said Muwad.

The show is very high energy and includes several tap numbers and large production numbers. However, the complex tap dancing has been a challenge for the cast to learn and perfect, Pratt said.

“I think they have really risen to the challenge,” said Pratt.

Over the past three weeks we have been rehearsing daily from 3:45 to 8:45 in order to smooth transitions, learn choreography and incorporate wardrobe and makeup, Pratt said.

“The most challenging part of this production has been the last month of rehearsal,” said Shrader. “Prior to that, the leads and ensemble did not rehearse together.”

As this is Pratt’s first all school musical at South, he says he is hopeful to live up to the community’s high expectations and has had a lot of help from co- director Meaghan Dunham.

“Of course, there are natural issues that we all acclimate to with any new production team, like how rehearsals run and those kinds of logistics, but I think both Mrs. Dunham and I have been consistent in allowing students flexibility and maintaining a high expectation as it relates to rehearsals,” said Pratt.

For “42nd Street”, Pratt casted sophomores Muwad and Thams as leads, as he believes they can rise to the challenge, he said.

“Both of them have had experience with lead roles both here at South and at community theatre organizations,” said Pratt. “I think they, like the other leads, have done a great job.”

Despite being underclassmen carrying such large roles, Thams said he and Muwad handle the responsibilities well.

“I have no concerns with playing a lead as a sophomore,” said Muwad. “The role I’m playing is like myself ― young, exciting and fun.”

Pratt says that the community should see “42nd Street” to support the students’ hard work as well as the work put in by parent volunteers in order to put on this elaborate show.

“It’s going to be a great show.  The students’ talent is featured and I think that is the key.  Audiences will see and hear a lot of great moments throughout the two hour show.”

Tickets are available at GPChoir.org or At Posterity in the Village. Show times are Thursday, May 2 at 7:30 p.m., Friday, May 3 and Saturday, May 4 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, May 5 at 3 p.m.

To see a complete cast list, visit http://www.gpsouthchoir.org/wp-content/uploads/42nd-St-Website-Cast-List-3-20-131.pdf .