Despite canceled assembly, AIM message stays the same

Margaret Brennan ’13 | Staff Writer

Initially scheduled for this afternoon, the All In Movement (AIM) assembly, due to a last minute scheduling conflict with one of the guest speakers, has been postponed to a further date, Assistant Principal Terry Flint said. The students involved decided to cancel it until all parties involved can attend to avoid compromising the assembly’s effectiveness.

“Honestly this probably works in our favor,” said Flint. “I know that sounds crazy. We determined at the start that this would be a student led movement so if the kids want to hold out for the best we are totally behind it.”

The assembly was scheduled to begin at 1:10pm, cutting each class to 34 minutes long.  After the assembly all students were to report back to their 7th hour classes to engage in a discussion. Due to the postponement, today’s class schedule will return to the normal 49 minute class, Senior Class Vice President Olivia Monette’13 said.

“The timing is unfortunate because of break and the short notice,” said Math teacher Laura Distelrath.  “However, I think me and other teachers will do our best to make the most of the class time provided.”

The assembly will hopefully be rescheduled for sometime in March or April, although no official date has been set, Flint said.

Unity, acceptance, and respect were the main goals of the assembly and A.I.M movement.  A group of 20 students were selected at the beginning of the school year to discuss the school tolerance climate. The students then decided to make a survey regarding such matters. The results of this survey in turn prompted the assembly, Flint said.

The survey ultimately showed two major problems at South, the first being a need for unity and the second a sense of judgment between peers. One statistic from the survey stated of the 952 students who took the survey, 191 said they never looked forward to coming to school, Flint said.

“We hope to keep the energy alive that was started when we first formed the AIM movement,” said Monette. “Despite the postponement of the assembly, our message is still the same and we still plan to address the issues that the students reported to us in the survey.”