Three classes you didn’t know existed

Kiera Valente ’13 | Staff Writer

With midterms right around the corner and students picking out their classes for next year, most  students would opt for classes they have heard friends mention. Instead of taking the usual Photo or foods class, here are three elective options you might not have known existed.

Small Engine Repair

Photo by: Connor Gillooly ’14 | Staff Writer. Students in Small Engine Repair work on taking apart and analyzing various machines, such as lawn mowers.

“Students learn all about the parts of a small engine,” said industrial technology teacher Jeanne Dolson. “”They work in groups I pick out and take apart a lawn mower engine and rebuild it. They end up doing this twice.”

Small engine repair is a semester long class that meets in room 215 but spends two to three days a week in the basement working on their small engines, Dolson said.

Since this is only a semester long class many students who take it end up taking Survey of Engineering Graphics next semester, which Dolson teaches during the same hour. Survey of engineering graphics mainly focuses on the basics of mechanical and architectural drafting.

“The class is great,” said Joe Bommarito’13. “I’m learning all sorts of things about engines that I never knew before. It makes me want to work with bigger engines, like a car, more often.”

Along with working on the engines and book work, the class also goes on a field trip to Forton’s Mower Service every year, Dolson said.

“Students learn the parts of the engine and how they work and about the tools needed to repair small engines,” Dolson said.

For students interested in taking this class, check for the class under the technology education category.

American Legal System

Previously taught by Dave Rayburn, this year’s class is taught by history teacher Michael Rennell’s first time teaching American legal system.

“I don’t know how Mr. Rayburn taught it,” said Rennell. “But I have my own style of teaching, but it is all the same content.”

Students who are interested in going into law enforcement, becoming an attorney, or doing anything in political science should take the class, Rennell said. Or just anyone interested in learning about their civil rights.

“I’m expecting the class to give an idea of the skills needed to be in the legal and basic background that will be helpful in later studies,” said Hannah Buzolits ’13.

The main focus of the class will be on what students legal rights are, Rennell said. There will be open dialogue about students’ personal rights and liberties.

“We will discuss the Bill of Rights and the state and federal legal system,” said Rennell.

Again, for students interested, this class is listed under the social studies section on the class form.

Microbiology

Photo by Kiera Valente ’13 | Staff Writer. Students in Microbiology can expect a lab-based class and more in-depth explorations outside of biology.

“Microbiology is the study of little organisms that you have to look under a microscope to see,” said science teacher Christine Harris.

Microbiology is a lab-based class that is for the most part run by the students, Harris said.

During the labs, students will learn how to classify organisms, by discussing their makeup, Harris said.

“I absolutely love it (Microbiology),” said Ann Smith’13. “I’ve taken some of the other science classes that Mrs. Harris teaches and they’re all great. It has really helped me realize that I’m interested in the medical field for a career. Part of what makes class so great is Mrs. Harris; she’s the best.”

Students who take the class should expect to leave with techniques they could not learn in the other basic science classes, Harris said. Microbiology goes more in-depth than the others.  

“I love watching the kids mature their skills,” said Harris. “I love when they figure out that they have perfected something or need to start over to do it properly.”

As long as students have taken chemistry and biology they can sign up to take microbiology. The course can be found under the science category, Harris said.