Art department sells holiday cards for fundraiser

Margaret Fikany ’13| Staff Writer

South’s art department is hosting its third annual holiday card fundraiser, which will help raise money for the art program.

“Students from around the art program created cards for this holiday season in hopes to raise money that will benefit them as well as the future students,” said Aro.

Primarily, this fundraiser will help fund a mixed-media lab, which would allow students to do digital dry-painting as well as dry-design, Aro said.

Students Cory Thelen ’13, Kiersten Kern ’13, Karri Turri ’13, Larry Borum ‘13 and Rachel Forcillo ’14 will have their artwork presented on this year’s cards. Images from South 2011 graduate Melissa Bryan are also for sale.

“I feel honored to have one of my shots featured in the holiday cards,” said South student and photographer Larry Borum. “It’s nice to have parents, teachers and students see the artwork of students at South and recognize the talent we have and the effort we put in to making our work.”

South having a mixed-media room would make art more fun to work with, give students more time management and better equipment, Borum said.

“For about five years, I’ve been wanting this mixed-media lab,” said Aro. “At this point, the community has raised enough money for the computers, but now we need enough for installation and furniture.”

Local artist Suzy Fishback and Mother’s Club members Karen Shepard and Amy Thelen have also been a huge help in putting this organization together, Aro said.

“We did assignments on what the kids wanted to do, and Mrs. Shepard chose which ones were best for the sale,” said Aro. “We chose cards that would appeal to our customers, and that would also draw attention from a professional.”

With some of the cards being blank inside, Aro said, people can use them for handwritten thank you notes, or just nice letters to family and friends.

The cards come in packages of eight, selling for $10, Aro said. Customers can either pick from one design, or choose eight from the nine cards for the same price. Orders will be taken until Friday, Dec. 7, and delivered to the customers by Dec. 11.

The cards can be viewed and ordered through the art department’s website, as well as in the main office.

When ordering, include the number of sets per card/artist. Checks should be made to “GPS Artfest 2013” and dropped off to the South Art Department mailbox. If you have questions, e-mail Karen Shepard ([email protected]) by this Friday.