No shame for No Shave November

Devlin Francis ’15 | Staff Writer

November is a month full of celebration.  Of course, there are the obvious holidays, like Thanksgiving and Veterans Day, but one special thing is practiced all month: not shaving.

“No Shave November” as it’s called, celebrates not shaving one’s facial hair, for the entire month of November.  It’s very similar to “Movember,” where men compete to see who can grow the greatest mustache during November.

“It’s fun,” said Tristan Russanno ’14. “But it’s tough too, by not being able to shave and having to put up with itchy facial hair. Not going to lie, I miss my razor dearly.”

Photo Courtesy of theinsightonline.com. The thirty days of "no shave."
Photo Courtesy of theinsightonline.com. The thirty days of “no shave.”

Russanno enjoys doing No Shave November, and jokes that he rocks a mean pair of sideburns.

Some students, like Scott Brooks ’15, are really happy with the beard they’ve been able to grow so far.

“I’m proud of my beard,” said Brooks. “It’s really cool because I’m only a sophomore, and most sophomores can’t grow one (a beard).”

Brooks has received a lot of attention from his facial hair, he said.

“People I do and don’t know will just walk up to me and say, ‘I like your beard’ and it’s cool and nice to have people notice it,” said Brooks.

However, most people aren’t as serious about their facial hair. Students like Jerry Coyle ’15, aren’t shaving for the entire month just for fun.

“It’s a high school thing, and a bro thing to do,” said Coyle.

Coyle joked that his father asked him to shave, but Coyle didn’t and kept growing out his facial hair, he said.

“My dad noticed it one night, and told me to go shave,” said Coyle. “I told him I wouldn’t, and we argued and fought for a little bit, 10 minutes or so, but finally, I said, ‘It’s No Shave November. I’m not shaving’ and that was the end of that.”

Whether someone is serious about their facial hair or not, one thing is for sure about No Shave November.  Brooks, Coyle and Russanno all agreed that having fun is the most important thing about not shaving over the entire month.

“Most of all, it’s about having fun during November,” said Coyle. “And of course growing out great sideburns.”

So guys, along with being thankful this November, remember to do one other thing: not shave.