Q and A with varsity tennis captain

John Sullivan ’17

Q and A with varsity tennis captain

Evan Theros, Staff Writer

Q: How has the season been overall?

A: Better than last year, at least.  I feel like our team has better players overall that help us do better at regionals and better at states this year.

Q: Did the team have any goals at the beginning of the season.  If so, have you reached them?

A: One goal was to get at least 18 points at regionals for states, so we reached that goal.  Another goal was to do better at states.  Last year we got eighth out of 16 teams so we are trying to do better than that.

Q: Where are states this year and who will be your best competition?

A: States is in Midland and it’s a huge facility with about 30 courts. Brother Rice, Novi, Pioneer and Huron are the teams that are going to be challenging to play.

Q: What is the format of the state tournament?

A: There are four singles positions and four doubles positions that all have their separate flights. They play matches and determine who is going to win four doubles or one single. From there, the most points that a team has at the end of the state tournament, wins.

Q: Is there strategy that goes into this?

A: We don’t have a strategy. At the end of the day, we want everyone to win. We don’t stack, we only play our best.

Q: What players stood out most this playoff run?

A: Our four doubles; Sam Packer and Kenny Prather and our two doubles, Turner and Cameron Sine. Prather is our freshman this year and the team had great wins this season. I believe they will do well at states.

Q: What would a state title mean to you personally?

A: Personally, that I did my job better than I thought I would.  It’s very uncommon if we win but anything could happen.

Q: What has been that highlight of the season so far?

A: Coming in second place at the University of Liggett tournament. We got third place last year and we were extremely surprised. This year, Ligget believed they were going to get second place, so they had the trophy engraved with second place for the tournament.

Q: What has your team done to play for this final state tournament?

A: A lot of practicing, match play and trying to become more mentally prepared for this.

Q: What are some of the traditions your team has?

A: We don’t have any superstitions or traditions, we just go with it.