The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Tailgate before big game brings community together

By Kaitlin Nemeh ’18 | Staff Writerscreen-shot-2016-09-28-at-4-05-11-pm screen-shot-2016-09-28-at-4-35-49-pm screen-shot-2016-09-28-at-4-39-53-pm

Though the rivalry between North and South may be strong, fans of both teams came together as one community on game night, Friday, Sept. 23, for the annual Grosse Pointe Chamber’s tailgate. The tailgate was from 5-7 pm, in the parking lot of North. Families and friends of all ages gathered before the varsity football game for food and fun.

Joanie Bellamy, mother of South student, and North Alum, attended the tailgate with her family.

“This is my first tailgate at North since about the late 80s,” Bellamy said. “We came to the tailgate to eat before the game, and because we enjoy seeing people that we haven’t seen in awhile.”

Besides food at the tailgate, many tables and tents were set up in the parking lot, with displays from different schools clubs and organization. One of the clubs in attendance was the Gearhead club, with a combination of North and South students.

Grace Cupolo’18 arrived at the tailgate at 5:30 to help out at a club table.

“I’m a part of the Gearheads,” Cupolo said. “I’m helping out by selling waters for people that want them.”

Cupolo has gone to the tailgates before the football game for the past three years, and said that it’s fun to interact with everyone there.

“I like seeing my friends, especially from North and South,” Cupolo said. “ We get to meet up again.”

Cupolo was most excited to watch the football game, and to see the marching band play.

The tradition of the tailgate will continue on next year before the game, at South.