New band director instated during summer vacation

Photo+by+Archer+Hauck+%E2%80%9914+%7C+Page+Editor+-+Christopher+Takis+conducts+a+group+of+students.+
Photo by Archer Hauck ’14 | Page Editor – Christopher Takis conducts a group of students.

Harrison Krasner ’14 |Staff Writer

Uncertainty regarding the future of the band program has been eased with the appointment of Christopher Takis as the new band director.

“Mr. Takis will be overwhelmingly positive to our program,” said Principal Dr. Matt Outlaw. “I think having Mr. Takis as a part of our program is like hitting a home run.”

Jon Dean, deputy superintendent of educational services, said Takis stood out as the top candidate out of 106 applicants because of his focus for the students, passion for music and strong technical skills.

“We really got the word out throughout the nation that there was an opening for a band director at South,” said Outlaw. “Our key to success while finding a new teacher was the extremely large pool of great teachers to choose from.”

Candidates had a multitude of interviews to go through, Outlaw said.

“Everyone felt comfortable with him and I think the feeling was mutual,” said Savannah Rana ’13, Symphony Band president. “This was the second time doing this for the seniors (hiring a new teacher), so we really knew what we were doing and knew what to look for and that’s exactly what led us to Mr. Takis.”

In June, previous band teacher Steven Cross was let go on administrative recommendation, Dean said. Cross served as director of bands for two years.

“Mr. Cross had a strong bond with many of the students so that is something that we will have to re-forge (with the new director),” said Rana. “He did a good job with including every one and made groups such as the flute ensemble, percussion ensemble, clarinet choir, brass choir and jazz II and I hope Mr. Takis will continue some of those great groups.”

According to School Board minutes, Cross was released because of concerns raised near the end of his two-year probationary period related to letters he sent home indicating “band programs that would be significantly reduced or eliminated due to a reduction in his full time assignment.” The probationary period is in place for the school to make sure that they want to keep a teacher if an unfavorable concern is raised, Outlaw said.

“Mr. Cross had many strong points to his teaching but the transition should be fairly quick for the students because I believe Mr. Takis is going to be great for this program,” said Margaret Biglin, president of the Band and Orchestra Boosters.

Takis had the perfect amount of experience and the right personality for the job, Outlaw said.

“He is easily described as a people’s person,” said Outlaw. “He is very confident while respecting others.”

Takis earned his bachelor’s degree at Michigan State University, Dean said. He then earned his master’s degree from Saginaw Valley State and went on from there to be the director of bands at Van Dyke Middle school for seven years.

“Mr. Takis seems to be very musical he played in the drum line at Michigan State and has taught marching band and symphony band for a while now,” said Rana. “He even plays bass in a rock band called Six Point Five.’”

One of Takis’s goals is to expand the program in size as well as prestige and he is going to do many things to achieve those goals, Biglin said. While specific goals are still being set, there are plans to work with the students on marching, the scheduled events for the school year–including concerts such as Pops and Pastries, as well as a full band trip to California.

“I am absolutely thrilled in the direction that we are headed with the band program,” said Outlaw. “Mr. Takis is going to do great things for many years, he is exactly what we need.”