A lack of communication between administration and students leads to frustration

Paige Evers '22, Web Editor in Chief

Over the past couple of weeks, there were a series of incidents that led to mass panic within our schools. In turn, the administration has needed to make split second decisions in order to ensure the safety of students and staff.

On Dec. 2, 2021, at 10:22 p.m. students received communication from administrators that school would be closed the next day due to unresolved rumors of a possible school shooting or dangerous situation at South. Prior to the administration’s late night message, during the school day students scrambled about not knowing what was happening when rumors began surfacing.

We at the Tower believe that information is crucial to understanding the things happening in our schools and community. We ask that the administration at Grosse Pointe South adds students to the email list of parents, as we deserve a clear line of communication no matter the topic.

Administration later confirmed on Dec. 6 that those rumors had no bearing to them, as the screenshots that were being passed around pertained to L’anse Creuse Middle School South. In their message, administration also mentioned that there had been an arrest and expulsion of a student at Parcells due to threats they had made on Instagram. Along with that information, they shared lockdown procedures and specific programs to use if anyone hears of any threats like Ok2Say.

These two instances are perfect examples of great communication between administration and students in terms of keeping everyone informed, but they have a tendency to wait until the last minute to send these messages. For instance, administrators were actively investigating threats from social media that students were being bombarded with and did not communicate at all until they made an announcement towards the end of the day, which wasn’t great as many students at that point had left school due to them being afraid.

Typically students are always last to receive emails. All of the emails sent out by administration about shooting threats and rumors, students were the last to be aware of it. Not to mention, students also don’t receive any emails regarding COVID cases and other miscellaneous things that relate to us.

Although the lack of communication is probably unintentional, it paints a picture of administration trying to hide something from their students. If there is news that impacts their school or district, students shouldn’t have to send a text message to their parents to get information.

All it takes is one text from a parent to create a rumor, when all that is needed is an email sent out to both parents and students.