Mother’s Club fashion show, “The Way We Were”

Kiera Valente ’13 | Staff Writer

The Mother’s Club annual Spring Benefit Luncheon and Fashion Show takes place on Tuesday, April 23 in the Main Gym from noon to 3 p.m. Celebrating 85 years of excellence at South, this year’s theme for the fashion show is “The Way We Were.”

Along with the fashion show, lunch will be provided to attendees, co-chair Mollie Sterr said. There will also be a tin can raffle and live auction.

“The raffle donations came from an array of sources,” said Sterr. “Local businesses and retailers as well as parents were able to donate things.”

Student models who signed up more than a month ago to participate in the show will be wearing clothes from local retailers, Sterr said. Typically, the same retailers donate clothing every year with a few new additions.

Some of the retailers include: Brooks Brothers, Full Circle Resale, Dawood, Village Palm and Cafana’s Tuxedo, Sterr said. These are just a few of the many retailers that will be showing some of their products at the fashion show.

“I’m really excited to be in the fashion show this year,” said Cecily Tennyson ’13. “It is fun to just be able to dress up and have a nice time for the afternoon.”

Students who are not in the fashion show but who would like to see their friends participate are welcome at the event, Sterr said. Tickets were $40 per person or $500 for a table.

“The fashion show allows students to see their friends walking the runway,” said Sterr, “and it allows parents and alumni to come back to South for an afternoon of fashion and lunch.”

Along with Sterr, Michielle Giorgio is a co-chair of the event, Sterr said.

The fashion show is one of the Mother’s Club more recognized fundraiser, Sterr said.

“It (the fashion show) is very successful,” said Sterr. “It is one of the largest fundraisers for the mothers club. It raises money for student enrichment programs and general help throughout the school.

This event is such a popular day for both parents and students that all students will be dismissed at 10:55 a.m. so they can attend, Tennyson said.