Interested in traveling to Europe? Here’s your chance

Kendra Caralis
South Social Studies Teachers Kendra Caralis and Meg Pierce are planning a 2025 combined North and South trip to Europe.

South offers a myriad of social studies courses, but hands-on experiences are few and far in between. 2025 gives the chance to be a globetrotter.

Next year, Social studies teachers Kendra Caralis and Meg Pierce will be touring Europe with students from North and South. The group will depart on Valentine’s Day, spend winter break journeying through three different countries and return on Feb 23.

“When I traveled as a high school student, it opened my eyes to everything that’s out there, and I absolutely fell in love with traveling and experiencing new cultures,” Caralis said. “So I want to be able to give that back and give students the same opportunity.”

At an informational meeting, Caralis and Pierce presented a detailed itinerary to aspiring international travelers.

Over the course of nine days, the group will explore Vienna and Salzburg, Austria, Budapest, Hungary and Prague, the Czech Republic. They will visit famous historical landmarks along the way, including the Vienna Opera House, Schönbrunn Palace, Heroes Square, the Charles Bridge, Saint Stephen’s Cathedral and Hradcany Castle. Zaira Gentile ’27 said she’s debating whether to go on this trip or South’s orchestra trip.

“It does seem fun,” Gentile said. “I’ve been to Europe a few times, but I’ve only really been to Italy, so it would be nice to see other places.”

Besides the opportunity to sightsee, the trip offers an enriching cultural experience. Students will be exposed to foreign customs, eat authentic cuisine and learn European history. In Austria, they will make their own traditional Austrian confectionery called Mozartkugel.

“Traveling with students is seeing them realize how different things are and talking to people of different cultures and just experiencing the world,” Caralis said.

Facilitated by the American Council for International Studies (ACIS), the trip costs a total of $3,691, but families can pay in $409 automatic monthly installments. Optional travel insurance plans range from $350 to $500. Full payment is due on Nov 11. Those who enroll by June 1 will receive a $200 discount.

“It’s a great opportunity to be able to travel, and we would love to have anyone who is interested,” Caralis said.