Beach Oasis says ‘Bon Appétit’ in annual Tablescape Competition

Kiera Valente ’13 | Staff Writer

This past Thursday, April 12 while walking past Cleminson Hall students and staff may have noticed it was not arranged like usual. Instead it was filled with six tables all decorated under a different theme by the second semester interior design class.

“This is something I have classes do every semester,” said Interior Design teacher Marianne Vukas. “The difference between this semester and lasts is just the themes of the tables. First semester themes focused on autumn and the holidays while this semester the tables were spring and summer themed.”

The themes for this semester’s competition included the Kentucky Derby, Beach Oasis, April Showers, A Spring Picnic, Une Belle Journѐe á Paris and Jungle Mania, Vukas said.

“We were a little nervous at first,” said Kira Loren ’15, a member of the winning table. “Once we set it up we saw that it looked good though.”

The winning table was Beach Oasis, Vukas said. Second place was the April showers table, the others received honorable mentions. The winning team consisted of Loren, Anna Piccione ‘16 and Lily Patterson ‘16.

Photo by: Kiera Valente '13 | Staff Writer. April Showers Bring was the second place winner of the Interior Design's annual Tablescape Competition.
Photo by: Kiera Valente ’13 | Staff Writer. April Showers was the second place winner of the Interior Design’s annual Tablescape Competition.

“Judges were asked to judge the tables based on relevance of the theme, drama, formal place setting and making sure it was esthetically pleasing,” Vukas said.

Just like last semester students were allowed to borrow plates and silverware from The League Shop, Vukas said.

“Mrs. Brinker has been letting us borrow stuff from The League Shop for the past nine years,” said Vukas. “As well as that, she comes in to class and teaches students proper place settings before the competition so the tables are set up accurately.”

Along with a proper place setting students were also required to have a menu and a framed title for their tablescape, Vukas said.

“We didn’t have too long to work on the project maybe three class periods,” said Piccione. “Then the day of we came in at 7:15 to set up and then we cleaned up during class.”

With the tablescape competitions becoming so successful Vukas said there is a possibility that next year’s interior design class may be eligible to participate in a tablescape fundraiser. The fundraiser is held by the Daughters of Penelope every October and benefits local charities.

“If we are invited to participate it will be open to current and previous interior design students,” Vukas said.