South DECA students succeed in state competition, move on to nationals

Kelly Cullen’13| Social Media Editor

DECA members went to Grand Rapids, Michigan for the annual State Career Development Conference on May 17 through 19, adviser Bill Cayo said. DECA students competed in different events, aiming to move onto the DECA Internationals Career Development Conference (ICDC) in Anaheim, California.

Fifty-seven students from South participated in the State Development Conference with about 2,500 total students at the conference, said Cayo.

According to deca.org, more than 185,000 high school members participate in DECA, through 5,000 chapters in all 50 states and eight countries.

Students complete a multiple choice test and complete two problem solving situations. Their combined score must put them into the top five for their event in order to go to the international competition, Cayo said. Ten South students advanced and will be going to the international convention in April.

State Champion Harrison Krasner ’14 has been a part of DECA for two years and won in the apparel and accessories marketing category. Krasner was one out of 8 people selected for the state executive board.

“Here I will learn about leadership skills and more about the business world,” said Krasner. “It will give me the opportunity to become more involved in DECA and I can’t wait.”

Another outstanding performance at states was Olivia Withers ’14. Withers, a first-year participant, competed in an event called Principles of Hospitality and Tourism. Her role was to be in the top five of her event which would allow her to move on to internationals. Succeeding in this role, Withers will most likely compete at the next competition in April in Anaheim, California.

Top competitors will compete at the ICDC and will get the chance to partake in a variety of leadership and career advancing academies, Cayo said,

“My favorite part about DECA is watching students grow as future business people, said Cayo. “Also, the excitement of the competition as well as the relationships students builds with their peers.”

DECA Students advancing to Nationals:
Harrison Krasner
Ellie Costakis
Mai Qiang
Daniel Harris
Claire Huebner
Lindsay Fisher
Drake Lyon
Maggie Sullivan
Olivia Withers
Gabriela Tucker