The Annual Mother’s Club Fashion Show

The Grosse Pointe South Mothers’ Club is hosting its annual fashion show fundraiser Thursday, April 27. The show features South students modeling clothes, shoes and accessories from local shops.  

According to Mothers’ Club member Helen Srebernak, around 50 Mothers’ Club members and 210 students, including models, tech crew and choir, are involved in the production and planning of this exciting fundraiser that has being going on since June 2016.

According to model Daniel Kuhnlein ’17, everything down to hair and makeup for the show is done by Grosse Pointe businesses.

Katie Satterfield ’17 is wearing The Wink Boutique

Kuhnlein said girls arrive earlier on the day of the show to get their makeup and hair done by local salons, while guys usually get there about an hour earlier to get their outfit and prepare for the show.

According to Kuhnlein, the show is a huge fundraiser for the Mothers’ Club and South.

“I decided to do the fashion show because the Mothers’ Club does so much with conservation, scholarship and enrichment that I believe it’s every student’s obligation to give back to the school and the Mothers’ Club by volunteering a few hours to model for the fashion show,” Kuhnlein said.

Kuhnlein said he has been volunteering to model in the fashion show all four of his years at South. Another student, Ethan Briggs ’17, is returning for his second year of modeling at the fashion show.

“I decided to do the fashion show because it’s a lot of fun and it raises a lot of money for our school,” Briggs said. “It’s a great way to support the school and the community.”

According to Briggs, there are only two things students modeling in the show have to do, besides be there on Thursday for the event.  

“You have to go get a fitting at whatever store you’re going to wear, and then there’s a rehearsal on Sunday,” Briggs said.

Sam Rivard ’17 is wearing the Yoga Shelter

According to Srebernak, while the student models have their fittings and rehearsals, the Mothers’ Club volunteers are busy setting up for the big show.

The choir is performing, so we have to reach out to them,” Srebernak said. The Design Group donates the curtains and a lot of the big decorations that go up, tables are ordered, the raffle people are working on donations and getting the raffle together, people are seated at specific tables and money is collected for tickets.”

Briggs said student models are grouped randomly by Mothers’ Club members and assigned the business whose products they will be wearing.

“The Mothers’ Club chooses students and assigns them a store,” Kuhnlein said.  “Every year I have been asked by the Mothers’ Club president, Ann Turnbull, to work with Village Palm.”

According to Briggs, Mothers’ Club members randomly group the student models and assign them businesses whose products they will wear.

asha

Photos by Margot Baer ’18
Shannob Kerr ’17 is wearing The Wink Boutique

“This year I am modeling for Village Palm, and last year I did Jos. A. Bank,” Briggs said.

Kuhnlein said he will be modeling for Village Palm this year too, as he has the other three years in the show.

“It (the fashion show) is very small amount of time, and a great way to give back to the school,” Kuhnlein said.