All-school musical to debut Thursday

By Christy Ford ’15 | Staff Writer

Students of all grades prepare to storm the stage and enchant audiences this week for the all-school musical, “Will Rogers Follies.”

Public performances will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with an additional matinee performance on Sunday at 3 p.m. All shows will be located at North’s performing arts center.

“I think it will be a fun thing for people to go out and see,” said chorus member and dancer Sera Christian ‘15. “It’s a really big production, and it’s great to support classmates that are involved in it.”

The play consists of four major roles: Will Rogers; his wife, Betty Blake; his father, Clem Rogers; and Ziegfeld’s favorite, Director Meaghan Dunham said.

“Will Rogers was one of the most important entertainers in 20th century America,” said Dunham. “He got the American people essentially through the Great Depression because of his ability to make light of things that were very sad, very depressing and very unfunny. He was even bigger than Shirley Temple at times.”

The storyline of the play pays tribute to Will Rogers and introduces the new generation to a man who was influential in history but absent in textbooks, said Dunham.

“He connected mainly through live performance, in print or in radio,” said Dunham. “It would be a shame to have someone who was so important in our American history be forgotten.”

Student performers have been pouring hours into rehearsals since January.

“Everyone should go because it’s just  a spectacular show that will make you laugh and then maybe cry,” said Sydney Kruse ’15. “Attending the show is an amazing opportunity, and you get to see the hard work of the students pay off.”

Auditions were open to any student, said Dunham. In addition to on-stage performers, approximately 20-25 students perform in the pit, and more students are a part of the crew. In total, about 80 faculty, students and parents worked to bring the entire production to fruition.

“There are students from choir, Pointe Players, and students working on crew,” said Dunham. “Some are veterans and others brand new who have never been a part of a show before, so there’s a huge range of talent expertise.”

Stage manager Adam Campau ‘15 said he works behind the scenes to make the play flow well.

“I’m in charge of everything that happens backstage. I have stage right and Eva (Doherty ‘15) has left,” said Campau. “I just like working with these actors, especially the seniors, after all it is their last musical at South.

Will Rogers Follies will hit the stage Thursday evening at 7:30 p.m. and continue until its final matinee on Sunday. Tickets are available for purchase online here.

[info]To read about senior cast member, Loris Dennis, who is starring as Betty Blake for her first lead role in a musical, read this article.[/info]