Foreign exchange student shines in ‘Phantom’

PHOTO COURTESY OF WERONIKA LUKASWEZKA ’12 | Lukaswezka poses with Elyse Croce ’12. Lukaswezka is playing the role of Meg Giry in “The Phantom of the Opera”

MATT BARNES ’12 | Copy Editor

Watching Polish exchange student Weronika Lukaszewska ’12 on stage during South’s all-school musical, “Phantom of the Opera,” is a wonder to behold; dancing and singing as the show’s Meg Giry, fitting the role as well as the mask fits the Phantom’s face.

“I was a voice actress in Poland, so I did voiceovers for cartoons like ‘Pokemon,’ the Polish versions, so that was really fun,” said Lukaszewska. “I’ve been on TV shows, but I’ve never done anything on stage.”

In class, Lukaszewska went from Women’s Choir to Pointe Singers as she improved in her music reading and performing ability, Choir instructor Ellen Bowen said.

“I’m happy that she’s joined us in the cast,” said Brian Hall ’12, who plays the male lead role of the Phantom. “She’s a joy to be around.”

“I think the main difference between what I did before and ‘Phantom’ is this excitement, and the ability to interact with the audience,” said Lukaszewska. “It’s a great thing, to be able to see everyone smiling, and their tears and their laughs and everything is just amazing.”

Unlike most exchange students, she did not transfer through a rotary program. Instead, Lukaszewska has come to Grosse Pointe South through a separate organization.

“She is (an exchange student) in a way, but not through Rotary, through a private organization,” said Bowen. “When I have an exchange student, they (Rotary) pay for everything; if they’re playing a sport, they pay that $100 fee. These people pay nothing.”

Bowen said Lukaszewska had no credits transferred from Europe; so, in order to go to college, she has to take her General Educational Development (GED) test. For this same reason, Lukaszewska is not technically considered a senior, despite being 19 years old.

PHOTO COURTESY OF WEROINKA LUKASWEZKA '12

“She’s very, very gifted,” said Bowen. “Most (exchange students) come in having no drama, no music, no sports, no anything, but boy do they have academics. Tons of math and science, but she wants to go into the arts, so going back to Poland won’t do her any good.”

Along with her voice acting experience, Lukaszewska had previous drama and news casting experience, Bowen said. Because of this, her English had already greatly developed prior to coming to the United States.

“She’s very talented; she didn’t read a note of music when she came here and I don’t know if she reads a lot now yet but I think she understands counting and she grasps a lot of things,” said Bowen. “She’s got good ears and she’s wonderful on stage. She’s very easy to work with because, as 90 percent of my foreign exchange students are, she’s highly disciplined.”

Lukaszewska is playing the part of Meg Giry, a ballet dancer, in the blue cast, Bowen said. Her mother in the play – Madame Giry – is played by Carolyn Alam in the blue cast and Reverie Beall in the gold cast, both ’12. Bowen said that a hint of an accent plays particularly well with the character of Meg, and fortunately Lukaszewska has picked up a small French accent from Beall, a native of Canada.

“Weronika has the perfect style of voice for Meg,” said Hall, “she fits the role really well.”

Along with her natural ability to play the role, Lukaszewska fits the role of Giry well due to her prior dancing experience, Bowen said.

“I’ve never done ballet before, but I’ve done jazz and modern dance, so that helped me a lot,” said Lukaszewska. “But I really appreciate the help that the ballet dancers have given me. It’s been really an experience to be able to dance with them because they’ve been dancing forever, and they’ve been really supportive.”

Lukaszewska said she didn’t audition for any particular roles. Originally planning on being in the chorus, she was called back to try out for three parts.

“I was just so excited. I think the main challenge was just the music itself; it was very, very hard,” said Lukaszewska, adding this is her first musical experience.

“Her performing doesn’t need touching up; she’s had a lot of dance and she plays a dancer,” said Bowen. “Right in the opening she’s dancing. She’s taking private lessons, and we’re giving her as much as we humanly possibly can without too many drama classes because she’s already had a lot so to take a beginning drama class would be pointless.”

The greatest part of being in the musical for Lukaszewska was the people she’s gotten to meet, she said. From Christina Swanson ’12 – who plays the female lead, Christine, in the blue cast – to Frankie Thams ’15 – who plays Raoul, in both casts – every single person plays an important part in the show.

“I just think the whole process from the very beginning with auditions to opening night has been so much fun. It’s so great to be able to work with her (Bowen) and I think that everybody else is so talented,” said Lukaszewska. “I love my cast, I’ve made so many friends, and the music is amazing. The story is very powerful. I feel so happy that I came here for this year; it’s probably my favorite musical ever.”

Bowen said that in her 43 years of teaching, Lukaszewska is one of the most talented students she has ever worked with.

“Like I said, I can see her performing either in drama or performing on television or in newscasting because she’s so cute,” said Bowen. “I think she’s very humble and sweet and she has fit in so well.”