Program offers volunteer opportunity, rewarding outcome

Graphic by Lily Koss '13
Graphic by Lily Koss '13

LILY KOSS ’13 | Online Feature Editor

After the final bell rings to signal the end of the day, most students head home to relax or to the field for practice.  Those involved in SOAR tutoring, however, head to Grace Community Church to volunteer with younger students.

“I would recommend SOAR tutoring to anyone who wants to get involved in community service because it is a good learning experience for both mentors and students,” said Emily Matthews ’13, a volunteer at SOAR.

SOAR tutoring is a non-profit organization that is part of Eagle Children’s Charities and partners with Grace Community Church, located on Moross Road in Detroit, to provide individualized reading tutoring to over 500 students to date in the Detroit area, Director Colleen Davisson said.  Eagle Children’s Charities’ mission is to build life-changing relationships through sports, camps and tutoring.

“Our primary target for SOAR is students who are reading at or below grade level when they initially begin our program,” said Davisson.  “Our goal is to see every willing third grade student on Detroit’s east side read at or above grade level.”

Beginning in 2005, SOAR tutoring was implemented as an after-school program, Davisson said.  It takes students in elementary through high school, but the majority of students are elementary age.  Once a student has participated in the program they are welcome to continue even when they are reading beyond grade level.

“We get to tailor students’ lessons to their ability and continue to provide the kind of support and encouragement for reading success,” said Davisson.  “It is exciting to think that we brought struggling students together with willing volunteers and made a significant impact on that child’s future.”

Finding out about SOAR through Interact Club, Matthews said she got involved by contacting Davisson.  She has been volunteering since November.

Every Thursday, Matthews tutors a fifth grade student, Tilashay, she said.  With all SOAR students following a similar program, together they read, do vocabulary building exercises and work on writing skills.

“[She] wasn’t a huge fan of reading, and would always start chapter books, but give up only a few chapters in,” said Matthews.  “My favorite moment was the day I convinced her to complete an entire chapter book.”

PHOTO BY LILY KOSS '13|     SOAR has provided individualized reading tutoring to over 500 students to date in the Detroit area, according to Director Colleen Davisson
Photo by LILY KOSS '13| SOAR has provided individualized reading tutoring to over 500 students to date in the Detroit area, according to Director Colleen Davisson

There are currently 225 weekly volunteers working with SOAR, 128 of which are students, Davisson said.  Together they have logged over 6,000 volunteer hours for just this year alone.

“I have learned that people want to help when you give them a good reason to get involved,” said Davisson.  “We have not had to turn any student away who has requested tutoring thanks to the willing volunteers who continue to support our program.”

Volunteering with SOAR, Camilla Friedrich ’13, tutors a first grader named Mauricio.  Being able to bond and getting the feeling that the students are having a good time and are enjoying what they are doing for them is what Friedrich enjoys most about SOAR.

“It makes you feel really good helping little kids learn how fun reading and writing can be,” said Friedrich.

During tutoring, Mauricio was writing about why winter was his favorite season, Friedrich said.  He wrote about how he likes winter because “my sisters eyes turn really pretty like Miss Camilla’s eyes.”

“I was flattered,” said Friedrich.  “(Volunteering) has taught me that taking my time to help others is not only beneficial to them but to me too, because you feel good about yourself.”

For SOAR, volunteers don’t have to prepare what they are going to tutor, they just need to be ready to engage and encourage their students, Davisson said.  Also, the program is willing to work around volunteers’ schedules with sports seasons, tests and extra-curricular activities. 

“I would recommend SOAR tutoring because it is so rewarding to watch the kids you help understand and learn,” said Rebecca Brewster ’12.

PHOTO BY LILY KOSS '13| Katie Rocho '13 tutors a student at SOAR.  Of the 225 weekly volunteers working with SOAR, 128 are students, Davisson said.
Photo by LILY KOSS '13| Katie Rocho '13 tutors a student at SOAR. Of the 225 weekly volunteers working with SOAR, 128 are students, Davisson said.

During her first year volunteering, Brewster tutored a student who struggled with staying on task and fully grasping the lessons, she said.  The next year she moved on to be tutored one-on-one and Brewster was given the chance to listen to her read.

“I was so amazed at the progress she had made, and I felt honored to play even a small role in her tremendous progress,” said Brewster.  “I loved seeing the lessons click with the kids and watching them grow and progress.”

Grace Community Church donates the space for the tutoring program, Davisson said. The contribution is a major factor to the program’s success, allowing them to put financial resources toward the students and their needs.

“The experience has taught me that anyone can help to improve these children’s abilities if the students receive the personal attention they need to succeed,” said Matthews.

As a member of SOAR, Davisson enjoys being able to mesh her passion for education with her administrative skills to bring committed volunteers together with students to watch them grow, Davisson said.

“What I like best is that it doesn’t feel like work, but something I was made for,” said Davisson.

Training will begin at the beginning of next school year, Davisson said.  Students who are interested in volunteering with SOAR can register online at www.eaglesportsclub.com/soar.  For additional information about the program, email [email protected].