Therapy dog unleashes smiles and comfort

A pawstive impact on mental health
Matthew Hamilton ’26

After a hard two years of Zoom classes and Schoology, mental health was at an all-time low. For South to get back on track, Beth Walsh-Sahutske and her therapy dog, Tuka, were called in.
Tuka is a four-year-old Siberian Husky rescue who has been working at South since after the start of the pandemic in order to boost mental health.

“There are few times in the day when people can visit Tuka,” Sahutske said. “But when she’s around people she brings a smile to everyone’s face.”

Although Tuka is only a dog, she is trained to a specific schedule during the day. She knows whether it’s time to take a nap or visit classrooms and stand in the hallway for students.

“Her routine is tied to the bell schedule, she anticipates when the bell is going to ring and will start walking to the door before she hears the bell,” Sahutske said.

Even though Tuka is meant to be around humans and in a learning environment, it can be hard for her to stay focused for long periods of time. In order to make sure she is at her best performance Sahutske gives Tuka many breaks in the day.

“In the morning she gets to run around in the courtyard, and she gets bathroom breaks at least twice a day, and after school she runs around as well,” Sahutske said.

Although Tuka was the only therapy dog in the district after the Pandemic, after seeing the effect Tuka has on the students at South 3-4 therapy dogs have been introduced to the district and Sahutske hopes for more to come.

“It is amazing what these dogs can accomplish with students, who doesn’t love a cute dog in the hallways between classes,” Sahutske said.