Senior delays college entrance to travel, explore career paths

By Angelica Kalogeridis ’15 | Staff Writer

Most graduating seniors go to college immediately in the fall, but for Maddie Kay ’14, the plan is a little different.

Against common tradition, Kay is planning on taking a gap year before going to college, she said.

“I’m taking a gap year because I don’t know what I want to do,” said Kay. “Before I go to school, I want to explore new things and find out what I really love.”

Going to college right after high school was never really a priority, Kay said.

“I’m still young and I have a lot of time to figure out what I want to do with my life,” she said.

Depending on the student, a gap year can be a good thing or a bad thing, social worker Doug Roby said.

“Someone might have a real purpose for the gap year,” said Roby. “If you need personal growth to have the best experience in college, then the gap year may be a benefit.”

A student not going straight to college right after high school is rare, Roby said. Only about 5 percent of South students do not go to college directly after graduating.

“But if you’re not ready for college, you need to be ready,” said Roby. “College isn’t cheap.”

Saving money for college, living on her own, travel time, and personal growth, are all within Kay’s plan for her gap year while living in Colorado, she said.

“I think I’ll be a lot more mature after this gap year is over,” said Kay.

After her gap year, Kay said she plans on attending the University of Colorado at Boulder. Right now she plans on majoring in Women’s and Gender Studies, but plans on taking this year to finalize that decision.

“Right now I hope to become a professional feminist,” said Kay. “I want to go to places like India and Uganda where women are still treated like second class citizens.”

Students’ college experiences set the timeline for what’s next, Roby said. But there’s no set timeline for when that is.

“I am encouraging Maddie to take a gap year,” said her mother, Patti Kay. “Not only to support her decision, but because I think it is a responsible approach to attending Boulder next year.”

Maddie demonstrates a great deal of financial responsibility in choosing to go out to Colorado to live for a year, Kay’s mother, Patti Kay said. She plans to gain residency so that she will be able to attend the college of her choosing.

“Travel and experience are the best education,” said Patti Kay. “I couldn’t be more excited for her.”