Results of student government officer elections posted

election graphic

By Kate Smigelski ’15 | Staff Writer

Election results are in, and a new group of students will be taking over Student Council and Student Association for this upcoming school year.

Although there were some people that stayed in the same position as last year, many positions were handed over to new students.

Mary Spencer ‘15 was elected as student council secretary for the second time, she said.

“I’m excited to keep planning for this year and next year,” said Spencer. “It will be nice to keep doing the job I’ve been doing.”

Unlike Student Council officer positions, SA Officer positions can only be held by seniors. New to the position, Gianna Manchester ‘15 was elected as secretary for SA, replacing last year’s secretary, Ellie Parks ‘14, Manchester said.

“It will be nice to become more involved and share my ideas,” said Manchester. “There are lots of ideas that will hopefully be put into action next year.”

Antonina and Virginia Cinnamond were elected as secretary and treasurer, respectfully, for the class of 2017. Luckily for them, they will be able to share ideas easily since they are twins, they said.

“It’s exciting to be able to voice my opinions,” said Antonina Cinnamond.

Changes were also made in the sophomore class. Newly elected vice president Gabi de Coster ’16, won over last year’s vice president, Connor Mallegg ’16.

“She was adamant about taking the position,” said Mallegg. “She will do a really good job.”

There are big goals for de Coster, she said. She believes both the financial situation and fundraising need improvement.

“I’m really anticipating working with Margaret (Sohn ’16, class president) to reach our class goals,” said de Coster.

As for Homecoming, there are many plans in the works, Spencer said. Nothing can be revealed yet, but it will be Spencer said the annual festivities will be great.

“I want to change the way we approach Homecoming compared to last year,” said Sohn. “I hope it is more organized.”

The classes are hoping to let students have more of a say in the decision making, Virginia Cinnamond said.

School unity will be a top priority for all classes next year, especially during Homecoming, Class of 2015 President Matthew Kennedy said. In light of the current seniors disqualification for the spirit jug, there are mistakes the current juniors do not want to make next year.

This new group of officers said they are hopeful next year will be a great year to be a South student.

Contributions by Jessica Whitney ’16