Three seniors sign for college athletics

Three+seniors+sign+for+college+athletics+

By Taylor Peters ’15 | Staff Writer

Three senior athletes are signed and ready to head to college next year. Kelsie Schwartz, Christina Tech and Gabriela Tucker all ’14 officially signed to their respective colleges.

Headed to University of Louisville in Kentucky, Schwartz continues to pursue her career in cross-country and track during her four years in college.

“This is an incredible opportunity for me,” Schwartz said. “I’ve been running since I was nine and to have it all come down to this is the ultimate reward for all I have done. I am very happy with my decision. With all the young and talented people, I know we can have a lot of success as a team.”

Although the campus is small, Schwartz said it is a very well-known school and she immediately fell in love with the town.

“The signings are the best part of my job. I like seeing the families’ culminations of all their hard work,” Athletic Director Jeremy Hawkins said. “It’s a nice burden to be lifted from these families because for most of these kids, it’s a year-after-year process.”

Tech plans to play softball at Gannon University in Pennsylvania. Also studying to become a Physician Assistant, Tech said she is excited to start college, academically and sports-wise.

“I love the team and the college, and I’m looking forward to being with the teammates,” Tech said. “The area really felt like home.”

Tucker said she will  head to University of Tulsa in Oklahoma next year. Tucker said she is excited to leave Grosse Pointe and experience a new place.

“I feel so lucky to have this opportunity,” Tucker said. “Not many others have a chance like this. The teammates were so welcoming, and it’s easy for me to picture myself there.”

Considering all the students that have had the opportunity to participate in sports further than high school, Hawkins is proud to be a part of the signing system.

“Playing sports beyond high school is a dream of many student athletes,” Hawkins said. “It’s great when we have a lot of kids who are able to do that.”