Three students head to Mackinac Island for Poetry Slam Competiton

Arianna DerManulian ’14 | Staff Writer

Being one of the most nerve wrecking competitions for writers, English teacher Harry Campion and Tom Budday will be taking three students from Campion’s advanced creative writing class to the Poetry Slam Competition held in Mackinac Island on May 18 and 19.

The three students: Colin Brannagan, Brendan Dyament,  both ’14, and Alexis Carlisle ’15 are all in advanced creative writing and attend the weekly poetry workshops with Tom and Campion at Caribou Coffee, said Campion.

“They do very well with their poetry and they also had the decision to challenge their pieces by going to the competition” he said.

Students are able to participate in the poetry workshops, which are held at Caribou Coffee in the Village from 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. every Monday night, Campion said. The workshops are used to help students improve their writing and help them speak comfortably in front of a group of people.

“Competitive poetry reading is where students have to perform an original work with no props or accompaniment and their piece can be no longer than three minutes and ten seconds,” said Campion. “Judges score them on a ten point scale, so immediately after the student is done reading, the people in the audience will hold up a board containing what they think (the) piece deserves.”

Not only are students able to practice their readings at the Caribou workshops, but Campion also holds coffeehouse Friday’s every week in his room for students to practice, too, Brannagan said.

“We have been working on four pieces and whoever wants to read theirs (pieces) writes their name on the board and we go from there,” said Brannagan.  “I get really nervous at times but it’s great to hear feedback and critiquing from people so you can improve your work.”

Campion said that in some ways this is the most ridiculous contest because students are judged on how well their original work is while at the same time standing in front of a large audience of strangers.

“At first I was really nervous about speaking in front of people but after working with Tom Budday and Mr. Campion I have improved greatly,” said Carlisle. “I think it’s very enjoyable now.”

Brannagan and Carlisle said they both attend the poetry workshop and coffeehouse  every week in order to improve their poetry.

“I have been working on my pieces for a long time and each week I think they are improving more and more,” said Brannagan. “It’s great to be a part of something where you’re able to express your writing in a more creative way.”

As for expectations, Campion said it’s not about winning or losing but rather for the competition and enjoyment for the writers to experience.

“I think that I will meet some new people, make new friends and overall just enjoy the experience,” said Carlisle. “I think it will be interesting to hear all of the other kid’s poems and share mine with everyone too.”