Video: Despite lack of attendance, Poetry Slam continues to impress

By Carly Walkowiak ’14 | Staff Writer

Lack of attendance at the Poetry Slam on Tuesday, April 16 did not stop the wonderful work that a variety of individuals put together and shared at the Ewald Branch Library in Grosse Pointe Park.

“Usually a lot more people attend the Slam,” said English teacher Harry Campion.  “However, Tuesday is often a busy day for students so I’ll have to keep that in mind next time I plan it.”

Although the attendance was low, the talent did not follow that pattern.  There were students from not only South, but previous students, and some students that have never attended South, said former student Angela Hysenllari.

The winner of the Poetry Slam was Giovanna Posselius ’13, who does attend South.  She won a Starbucks gift card, a library-esque coffee mug, and a woven picture of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, she said.

“I have been working on the poems I performed for a few weeks now,” said Posselius.  “Except for a few minor changes right before I walked on.”

The two poems that Posselius performed took only a few weeks, but to write her poetry, and the way she presents took two years to master, Posselius said.

“I was terrified to perform in front of people, but poetry workshops have a welcoming, and great group of people to improve your poetry or how you present it,” Posselius said.

The workshops Posselius is referring to are held at Caribou Coffee in the Village every Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m., said Campion.

Before every Slam, the performers and people who don’t want to compete in the competition get to have an open mic session.   Posselius said this is something that allows her to get a feel for the audience, and gives her more confidence before the Slam.

“The audience is always supportive,” said performer Brendan Dyament ’14.  “Even if someone were to not enjoy your work you will never get that response from them.”

Not only is this an experience for the performers, but for the audience as well, said Kaelyn Johnson ’13.

“It’s interesting to see other people’s point of views on society, or the world, or even get a better idea of who that person is,” said Johnson.  “People should come and enjoy the talent, or share their work because no one is judgmental here.”

The Poetry Slam has a lot of benefits, and one of them for Campion is that he is able to see his former students many times.

“I have absolutely no idea how my colleagues see former students, but I do all the time and I love it,” said Campion.