Architecture student finds independent study to be worthwhile

Photo by: Kiera Valente ’13 | Staff Writer.

Kiera Valente ’13 | Staff Writer

Baluster, corbel, and joist. To some these words are like a foreign language but to other’s this is typical architecture talk. Amongst the people who understand these terms is Bailey Labodie’13

Labodie started taking architecture classes his freshman year. Now, after taking all the available architecture classes he is participating in an independent study.

“Students are eligible to take an independent study program once they have completed Architecture 1, 2 and 3,” said Industrial Technology teacher Jeanne Dolson.

The independent study involves creating a Balsa model house framing project, Dolson said. Balsa is a light weight wood, which makes it easy to use.

“Mrs. Dolson will give me my project separate from what everyone else is doing,” said Labodie. “This project will be more difficult and in-depth than what the other classes are working on.”

There is usually a major project for each year of architecture, Labodie said.

“My favorite project was the duplex I made at the end of Architecture 3,” said Labodie. “It was something I put a lot of effort into.”

“Bailey has been taking the class for so long,” said Matt Geist’13. “He was always saying how great it was so I decided to give it a try. Now, I’m in Architecture 3.”

While Labodie does not intend on pursuing a career directly in architecture, the class has helped him make decisions for skills he can use in the future, he said. Using computer programs during the class helped show him his interest in computer graphics.

“Architecture is like no other class at South,” said Labodie. “It offers experience that I wouldn’t get other places.”

Having the same teacher for so long not only give the student and teacher enough time to get to know each other’s methods in school but also allows a bond to form, Dolson said.

“I really enjoy having Bailey as a student,” said Dolson. “This is the third year I’ve had him, I really got to watch him grow over the years. He’s talented and fun to have in class.”