Greenhouse undergoes necessary renovations

Mary Spencer ’14| Staff Writer

Complete reconstruction of South’s historic greenhouse has been underway this summer. The structure, which was part of the original building, is expected to be completed around October.

It underwent modest renovation 10 to 15 years ago, Christian Fenton, Deputy Superintendent of Business and Operations with the GPPSS, said. However, a storm in June caused some of the glass to break and the structure was torn down due to safety issues.

“That emphasized the fact that we really had to restore it,” said Fenton.

“I think that people wanted the project to be in the works for years, but there was never money,” said Laura Huebner, chair of the Preservation Committee, “and then this spring, when there was the windstorm and the glass blew out, it became apparent that the project couldn’t wait anymore.”

Energy efficiency will be an important part of the new greenhouse. Sheets of glass will be replaced with individual panes, which promotes energy while still allowing plants to grow, Fenton said. They wanted to maintain the integrity of the building while still making it a usable place for students.

“We just didn’t want to build it because it’s nice looking,” said Fenton.

Some people wanted to get rid of the greenhouse completely, Fenton said, but that would have been more difficult as well as more expensive. It would require removing the brick behind the greenhouse, which was glazed, and trying to find a replacement that matched the color of the rest of the school.

“To get rid of it, to match the brick and make that side of the building look like the Fisher Road side, is next to impossible,” said Fenton.

The Preservation Committee is contributing to the interior of the greenhouse, Huebner said. Funding is primarily coming from the school district, but the Committee is assisting, using money that was donated specifically for the greenhouse.

“We are responsible right now for the doors between the classroom and the greenhouse, and the fan,” said Huebner.

The fan, which is from the 1920s, is being restored and will hang in the center of the greenhouse, Huebner said.

“It would have been the kind of thing that would have been originally put in South.” said Huebner, “It will be something that will be there, hopefully, just like the school, long after we’re all gone.”

Donations for the interior have also come from two previous graduating classes. The Class of 2012 donated 10,000 dollars, and the Class of 1960 is making a donation toward the fan. Their contribution is up to 5,000 dollars, but the Committee will probably not be using all of it, Huebner said.

There have been some attempts to utilize the greenhouse in past years, such as making it into a reading room or a place to grow flowers and herbs, Fenton said. It has not been used much in conjunction with the science program in quite a while.

“Fortunately, we have a great science teacher over there, Mr. Shelson,” said Fenton, “I think he’ll be using the facilities.”

Biology and earth science teacher Brian Shelson said he plans to grow plants in the greenhouse and use it with his biology classes. However, other teachers and students will be welcome to use the greenhouse.

“Their students can come down and check it out anytime they want,” said Shelson.

Construction started later in the summer than they originally wanted, Fenton said, and it will probably continue until September or October, but it will not disrupt students at all.

“We hope that (students) appreciate that it’s a wonderful, original part of the school that will be now functional again, and we hope that they enjoy it as much to work in as we’ve enjoyed helping restore it,” said Huebner.