Theory on theaters

Aliana Ritter ’25

Despite the surrounding darkness, the illumination of a single screen is enough to brighten an entire room. Platinum colors flash before your eyes as a series of frames fade together sequentially. Comfortably reclined and utterly in awe, there is nothing better than this unmistakable experience: a trip to the movies.

In the age of Netflix, Hulu, Peacock and Prime, movie theater attendance has declined 50 percent in the last four years. Although the convenience of streaming networks is tempting for a quiet night in, the overall benefit that movie theaters offer outweighs that of their digital competitors. Three main advantages to movie theaters create a more sustainable consumer experience.

The first of which concerns the backbone of the entire film industry itself, the actors. When filming a movie or television show, actors are given residual payments. This is when each time a film is played or a DVD is sold, actors receive payment. However, with the introduction of streaming services, residual payments are abandoned, resulting in actors, crew workers, writers and producers becoming significantly underpaid. They fail to receive the deserved benefits from the growing popularity of their work if fans are watching through streaming services.

Movie theaters contribute to a stable consumer economy and support universal employment. In 2019, theaters in the United States created and sustained 399,500 jobs. Theaters form an estimated $18.3 billion in direct revenue and $36.1 billion in indirect output annually. Some important direct economic impacts include labor wages, employment and contributions to state and local taxes.

The cinematic experience of going to the movie theater completes the enjoyment of any occasion. A large screen with the clearest pictures, unparalleled sound systems, and a film-driven atmosphere is the exact way movies are intended to be watched. Projecting a movie in one’s basement is a significantly less fulfilling occurrence; with distractions and poor screen quality, streaming television certainly has its faults.

Although streaming may be favorable for its convenience, supporting a movie theater has less fleeting social and economic impacts. Attending a showing at your local theater creates a fun night out that doubles as a bonding activity. Theaters offer something for everyone and deserve to be credited as a valued community establishment.