Project Smile creates positive atmosphere in South

Devlin Francis ’15 | Staff Writer

Taking South by storm, “Project Smile” is trying to make the school a happier place.

“I think anything that’s intended to better the school environment and just make people all around happier is a good thing,” said Alex Manchester ‘14.

Project Smile began on Monday, May 20th with a banner across the main hall that simply read “Smile” on both sides, and a yellow smiley face painted on the rock.

“I think it will get people thinking, and if they read ‘smile’, hopefully they’ll start smiling and be happy,” said Manchester.

The back of the rock had an instagram handle painted on it, @gps_smile, the organization’s official instagram page. The page has a few pictures of the posters and the rock, expanding the organizations work onto social media.

Project Smile also has a Twitter page, @GPS_smile. As of 10 a.m. on Thursday, May 23 they had 66 followers and were following 299 people.

“What is ‘Project Smile?’ Our goal is to unite our school and create a positive environment at South,” said Project Smile via twitter.

Photo by: Kelly Cullen '13 | Social Media Editor. "Project Smile" has placed several posters around the school including the girls bathroom to create a positive atmosphere at South.
Photo by: Kelly Cullen ’13 | Social Media Editor. “Project Smile” has placed several posters around the school including the girls bathroom to create a positive atmosphere at South.

Their first tweet reads, “Be positive and keep smiling :).” Their biography reads, “Here to make our school a better place :).”

On Tuesday, May 21st, posters were put up with quotes ranging from Albert Einstein to Buddha and Walt Disney to Wiz Khalifa. These posters all had quotes about being happy and never giving up when times get hard.

According to administrative assistant Colleen Spencer, Principal Matt Outlaw approved the posters even though they do not have signatures. Outlaw could not be reached for comment.

The posters have the ability to motivate and pump people up, said Brendan Labadie ’16.

Finally, on Wednesday, May 22nd, music was played between every class. The songs played lightened the mood and made the day much more relaxing, students said.

“I personally like the music; it was feel good music and made people smile,” said Kelsea Fitzpatrick ’14. “My friends and I would sing along while walking to our classes.”

Photo by: Luke Kirtley '15 | Graphics Editor. Inspirational quotes such as this one were placed around the school to encourage students to persevere and remain positive throughout their school day.
Photo by: Luke Kirtley ’15 | Graphics Editor. Inspirational quotes such as this one were placed around the school to encourage students to persevere and remain positive throughout their school day.

Labadie hopes that the music will continue throughout the week and hopefully the rest of the year, he said. However, there was no music on Thursday.

“Not only did they have a good taste (in the music selection), it just made an otherwise regular day better by hearing the music,” said Labadie. “I think people will enjoy the music, so it may become a regular thing, which would be awesome.”

Project Smile is still a mystery as the person, or persons behind remain anonymous, however, that hasn’t stopped students from showing their support.

“It’s a good idea that the group’s anonymous,” said Fitzpatrick.  “It gives a sense of ‘what’s going to happen next.”

Fitzpatrick believes that since no one knows who’s behind Project Smile, students are more likely to pay attention and be more interested. People will follow the organization because it’s so mysterious, she said.

“I don’t quite know what Project Smile’s motives are, but that doesn’t matter,” said Fitzpatrick. “From all the posters and music I feel like they are just trying to brighten up people’s day, which is awesome.”

Regardless of the lack of information students and staff still appreciate what Project Smile is trying to do.

“I love it (Project Smile),” said Assistant Principal Debbie Higgins. “I don’t really know what it is, but it brightens my day.”

Likewise, English teacher Erika Henk also enjoys the posters and music, and likes the positive environment it brings to South, she said.

“I think all of it instills a more positive environment for our school,” said Henk.

Because of the positive feeling brought to South through the music and posters, students and staff are willing to support the cause and believe that Project Smile can help change the school for the better.

“People will want to participate in project smile, or just be glad to have it go on around them, so it will be a big hit,” said Labadie.

Students feel like Project Smile will continue and eventually succeed if students show support, but at the same time believe that the organization will fade if it isn’t received well.

“If this week of activities is successful then I could see them doing it more often but if kids don’t have a positive response then it’ll probably die out,” said Fitzgerald.

Project Smile did not comment. They did however respond to a comment on one of their instagram photos when asked if it was possible to contact them for an interview.

“No story can be written, just an experience shared,” said Project Smile via Instagram.