Bleached hair don’t care

Boys’ swim team brightens with over 30 year-old-tradition

Emmett O, Staff Writer

Everyone walking around South over the past three weeks, is sure to have seen many bleached heads.
It has been a tradition for the Boys Swim Team since 1988 to bleach their hair. After the Romanian team bleached their hair as a sign of unity and luck for the World Cup in France, the team jumped aboard the trend and turned it into a yearly ritual. Tucker Briggs ’22, captain of the team, has participated in this tradition all four years of his high school career.
“Hair bleaching has been around since way before I was on the team and will hopefully keep going on for many years to come,” Briggs said. “The swim team bleaches to show that we are a family and to show the hard work that we put in both in and out of the pool.”
Briggs explained that while many people complain that the style doesn’t look good on anyone, the bleaching isn’t meant to look good. It is done to bond with the team and show dedication. Another swim team member, Brandon Turner ’22, has been an avid participant for all of his high school years.
“It is a team tradition for most of the South swim team to bleach either some or all of their hair during the Superbowl party,” Turner said. “It is for the States and Mac Red meets that occur. Most freshmen are a bit scared to do it, but once they see everyone else do it, they will eventually warm up to the idea. I personally have fully bleached my hair all four years on the swim team.”
Turner is a huge supporter of the tradition and has gone full out to show his dedication all four years. He hopes the tradition will never fade out from the incoming people and that everyone will keep the same spirit. Flynn Mackrell ’23 feels similarly.
“I don’t mind the tradition at all, especially because my hair is already blonde, so it doesn’t make too much of a difference to me,” Flynn said. “Everyone definitely does it due to the fact the older guys do it.”
The tradition will be here for a while and is a great way to bring the team closer together. Team member Will Roberts ’22 kept his sentiments short and sweet.
“Never let the tradition die,” Roberts said.