DECA trip to California provides lifelong memories for junior

Harrison Krasner ’14 | Staff Writer

After countless hours of waiting in the airport, listening to Hall and Oates “You Making my Dreams Come True” on loop, sitting on the plane and waiting for luggage, DECA students attending the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) were finally in southern California. For Claire Huebner ‘14 and I, everything seemed all too familiar, which was not strange considering the hotel we had stayed at on the band and orchestra trip the previous week was approximately 20 feet away from our new hotel.

The first night for students was a period of adjustment. Not only did we wake up our friends at home because of the three hour time zone difference but we also had to cope with being hungry for dinner at 3 p.m.

Photo by: Harrison Krasner '14 | Staff Writer. DECA students in California had the chance to hang out in the hotel in their free time and they bonded with the lion in the lobby.
Photo by: Harrison Krasner ’14 | Staff Writer. DECA students in California saw an animatronic lion in their hotel lobby.

However, for a teenager waking up in California when fixed on EST is one of the most natural things ever– because although we were leaving at 9 a.m. for Hollywood, it was noon at home. Unlike the band trip we had a full omelet bar and did, in fact, have waffle machines as part of our breakfast. The waffles made up for the disturbing animatronic lion in the lobby (who we eventually befriended).

When we arrived in Hollywood everyone was star struck thinking each passerby was Tom Cruise because he would be on the “Tonight Show with Jay Leno” later that day. It helped that Claire and I had been on a walking tour of Hollywood a week before, so we could almost lead our own tour around Hollywood showing everyone the stars, the Chinese Theatre and Hollywood Blvd. I must say we were good too and much cheaper than the professionals.

As we waited in line for seats at the Tonight Show with Jay Leno everyone became anxious to be in the presence of Tom Cruise. The line tension was evident when even my abundant and impeccably crafted Vines met with rolled eyes and shouts to stop, which of course did not allow to deter me.

When we finally entered the studio it was amazing how small the actual stage is. We all came to understand how the different angles and filming techniques make it seem so large on TV. Shockingly none of us were chosen based on our unique talents listed in a questionnaire given to the audience at the onset.  We were convinced Daniel Harris ’14 had it in the bag with his special listed talent of “Chem”, but Jay Leno was obviously intimidated.

The show went well and other than Tom Cruise forgetting some lines from past movies it seemed like everything was planned to the finest detail.  We had clapped so much during the show that by the end our hands hurt.

After the show, Tom Cruise came up and talked to some members of the audience including the conversation he had with Drake Lyon ’14 about signing his macroeconomics book. Unfortunately he was dragged away by security before he could get to the book and yelled “Sorry!” before he was gone. Now that we were infected with Tom fever we tried all ways to connect with him: we waited for his car– but he went out a secret way and at last hope we tried bribing security– they said others had tried…with larger amounts of cash.

That night was the opening session for the ICDC and took us by surprise. We walked into the convention center to find a mob of 18,000 high school students going absolutely insane, techno music about as loud as it can get before ear damage and lighting similar to a rave. At the opening session students were welcomed by the national board of students and listened to a speech given by the CEO of PostNet, Steve Greenbaum. By the end of opening session it was 11 p.m. PST and everyone was exhausted because we were still adjusting to the time and onslaught to our senses.

The rest of the week was dedicated to competition and leadership seminars. Students competed on their own schedules that were designated when we first arrived.  When students were not competing they could make use of their three day Disney Park hopper or the pool at the hotel. Photographing palm trees was another popular option.

Both in and out of formal events networking is a huge part of the conference and can really help one to diversify and step out of their comfort zone. Although everyone is there for a common reason, DECA, people come from all 50 states and 9 countries. It is absolutely mind blowing that you can meet people from Germany, Guam and Texas all in the same day.

Photo by: Harrison Krasner '14 | Staff Writer. On their last day in California, DECA students were able to go to the beach and relax before heading back to Michigan.
Photo by: Harrison Krasner ’14 | Staff Writer. On their last day in California, DECA students were able to go to the beach and relax before heading back to Michigan.

On our last day in California we went to Huntington Beach, enjoyed the best fish tacos I ever had, really good gelato and a great day on the beach. After a brutal schedule for me of 8a.m.-11p.m., I could finally lay in the sand, take in the sights and sounds and think about the fact that life is a show.  It was a relaxing end to a packed trip.

The trip was absolutely amazing overall and exceeded expectations. Although going in we all knew each other (except our new good friend Daniel Cayo), we really connected and will always have a bond because of the trip. For me, trips like these help to define me as a person and open my eyes to the world around us.

I highly recommend students join DECA not only for its educational and networking opportunities but because these experiences can really change a person for the better. With DECA, I have traveled to Grand Rapids, Salt Lake City and Anaheim and I am going to Washington DC and all over Michigan this year.

Next year the ICDC is in Atlanta, Georgia so start hitting the marketing books and picking out the right tie for competition, because I have no doubt it will be a great trip. Mr. Cayo will have the blazers ready and his endless patience, smile and spirit of adventure to guide any willing students. It is impressive that a simple club in high school can allow students to develop professional skills, travel the country, and have a blast. Like the name itself, DECA truly defies explanation… but it gets in your blood.

This is a video clip of the “Tonight Show with Jay Leno” from the episode that the DECA students attended.